Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Memory question. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tikiltd

Technical User
Jan 31, 2001
US
I have a fairly new Dell with 2 memory slots - 1 occupied with 128mb RAM. I am soon going to get another 128mb RAM to stick in the second slot. The new RAM doesn't have to be from Dell does it? The RAM I am looking at has all the exact same specs down to a T that the RAM that came with the Dell has. In fact it seems to be a pretty common RAM upgrade (pc-133, 168 pins, 3.3v, non-ecc ect..._)

Thanks!

Does not have to be from Dell. Others will tell you that it does for reliability reasons. Mixing RAM is always a bad thing (or good thing). If you do buy RAM from somewhere else, make sure you get as close a comparison as you can. Then Test for a few days to ensure there are no problems ie.. Lockups, Blue Screens, Invalid page faults, and SLOWNESS. If you get a lot of these then I would suggest going with Dell. If not after you test for a few days you will be fine. Just remember that the cheapest isnt always better. So compare!

I agree completely with butchrecon. You should be Ok to go with generic RAM, but if in doubt pay the extra money & buy either Kingston RAM (which will be matched) or genuine Dell RAM. James Goodman
j.goodman00@btinternet.com

I don't have much experience with Dells yet but my son has been working with them for a while. When he wanted to install another 64Megs he bought Dell. I'm not sure if it was because he KNEW generic RAM won't work or just playing it safe. Unfortunately I can't ask him just now because he's at Brainshare at Novells HQ in Utah. Just be advised that some PC manufacturers not only fine tune their plugin boards, but change them enough to make them completely proprietary. If you buy RAM that isn't compatible you may get stuck with RAM that won't work.

Make sure you tell the store you are getting the RAM from that this is what you are doing. If you makr the reciept with a discalimer "this ram is going to be tested in a dell computer and may have to be returned" They will usually let you have it for a week to be sure.

If you DON't make this VERY clear to them in the beginning you may get stuck with ram you can't use or an in store credit becuase they don't do cash refunds... so be careful!

For the record you should have no issues though, it's only a problem when you are pushing the envelope in a REALLY used server or overtaxed machine.

Well it is generic RAM I guess. I did get it from a computer company that sells on ebay and also sells online from there own website. Like I said - the only thing I know is that the specs were exactly the same as the Dell ram I have in every way. Also, I even called Dell (to get the specs) saying that I may buy ram from somewhere else and the guy didn't mention once that I should only buy from Dell - as if what I was doing was fine. But then again.... I have been less than impressed with my tech support!

Regarding an overtaxed machine; I do push huge files (music studio work) but I never have a ton of applications opened at once. So I'm not sure if I apply to an overtaxed machine.

Thanks for all the input so far.

I can tell you for a fact, that you need to have the memory from Dell, otherwise it is not supported, and the first thing that Dell will have you do is pull out extra ram. Trust me on this, Dell's support policy lists that it has to be from Dell in order to be supported. Best option would be to go to accessories.us.dell.com for the memory or call dell @ 800-624-9896
Hope this helps

Davidianmage

I understand Dell would not "support" any ram issue if I put in ram from another maker. (I am putting in a new hard drive soon and I know they won't support that either.) But is what you are saying is that my Dell machine will not work correctly with the new ram in it? If this is what you are saying than how do you know this for a fact, and what exactly has has occured to show you this? For my own information. Curious. Thanks.

Just put the RAM in and test it for yourself. The best advice you can have is EXPERIANCE. You wont be sure untill then. :)

Good Luck, have fun AND learn!

One of the easiest things to check is the density, make sure there are the same number of chips on both sticks of memory. I accidentally mixed a high density stick and a low density stick in my machine and had the blue screen of death pop up at some point almost everytime I was on.

I didn't realize how much that could affect the PC, but changing them both to low density fixed 90% of my problems. Jon Holmen

I know on older Dell's if you didnt have the Dell ram, it wouldnt boot....so I believe that This may be an issue with the same. Best advise is to go with Dell on this and make sure that you are using edo or non-edo...well lets just say that I have an "inside" track on Dell..:)
and yeah the other hdd wont be supported unless you buy from Dell, but remember that they must be set on cable select

Davidianmage

My father bought a computer and it does not have enough memory. I was wondering what kind of memory cip it can use. The computer is a Compaq S Deskpro 4000 16384 kbok ser#.6629bb1q155 Or can you tell me how to find out my self Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back