Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Memory question

Status
Not open for further replies.

acymlf

MIS
Dec 19, 2001
MY
Hi
Just on simple question. Is it advisable to mix SDRAM 100 MHz and 133 MHz together? will it cause the system to be unstable.

Or will it only cause the 133 MHz memory to run at 100 Mhz?

Thanks.

it depends on whether your motherboard supports 133Mhz RAM chips but if it doesn't I actually see no reason why this combination shouldn't work. but I haven't tested it.

The 100MHZ sdram will down grade the 133MHZ. I've had some problems in the past with doing this but it is all up to your motherboard. If you have a choice go for 2 133MHZ DIMM's or els you may experience instability.

Stability shouldn't be a problem, but all SDRAM chips will run at the lowest common spec (in that case, 100MHz).

Does your motherboard support 133 MHz? If so, it would be worth your while to make sure you only use PC133 SDRAM.
[deejay]
ck_blk@yahoo.com

My current motherboard does not support 133MHz. It only support 100 MHz. But I was thinking the older machines which supports the 100 MHz will eventually be phased out. So purchasing 133 MHz memory might be more value for money since both the memory are of the same price.

Then I don't understand the reason for the question:

"Or will it only cause the 133 MHz memory to run at 100 Mhz?"

Since your mobo only supports 100MHz, the memory will only run at 100MHz, not 133MHz. The other part of your question about mixing PC100 with PC133 shouldn't matter. I've done it myself in the past and have never heard of any problems from anyone else...
[deejay]
ck_blk@yahoo.com

My company have PCs currently which have motherboaed with 100 MHz FSB and two piece 64 MB 100 MHz memory. We are planning to upgrade those memory. Since both 100 MHz and 133 MHz memory are the same price, we are considering purchasing only 133 MHz since it is more useful in the future. If there are no stability issues that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back