Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Memory problems on XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

irishguy730

Technical User
Dec 28, 2005
US
My memory is spiking at 100% even when no applications are running. Everything runs VERY slow and I have 1gb of memory. I've run Ad-Aware, Spy-bot search and destroy, and CA's eTrust ezAntivirus and cleaned everything out. Any thoughts?

Your memory? Or your CPU usage?

Just my 2¢

"In order to start solving a problem, one must first identify its owner." --Me
--Greg

LOL....good one.
The PC's of course. Now do you have any REAL solutions?

<ROFL> I meant your Computer's Memory, or your Computer's CPU Usage.

(I can't stop laughing about how that was misinterpreted, and when I read my own post again, I realized that my statement could have been, and was seen, as a "dig", instead of a follow up... <ROFL>)

Just my 2¢

--Greg

When you go to the task manager, which process is running at 100%?

============================
Hope this helps.

Ahh, see, that would indicate CPU USAGE at 100%, not MEMORY USAGE at 100%. Which was my question.....

Just my 2¢

--Greg

It's CPU usage. Sorry for misstating earlier.

There should be a process hogging all the CPU power - is there one or is it all just under system, which would be anoying, i've only seen that once (on W2K3 server) and never solved it other than rebooting it.

Have you looked in task manager to see which process(es) it is using all the resource? Checked in msconfig? There is some spyware that regenerates itself, even when found and dealt with by adaware, spybot etc - you may have one of these - but you'll need to track it down (usually can find a cure with Google when you know what it is).

Removing adware & spyware
faq608-4650

Microsoft (GIANT Antispyware) Beta available
Thread779-979113

Try the free version of "Ewido"

How is it in Safe Mode?

310353 - How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows XP

316434 - HOW TO: Perform Advanced Clean-Boot Troubleshooting in Windows XP

310560 - How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search