Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Memory or Hardware conflict 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shohan

Technical User
Oct 5, 2001
US
I just built my system and am having some problems.

System Specs:

AMD AthalonXP 1900+
ThermalRight AX-7 w/ 80CFM Delta
Soltek SL-75DRV5
2x Corsair PC-2700 512mb DDR333
Leadtek GeForce4 ti4600
SB Audigy Platinum w/ Internal Audigy Drive
Linksys 10/100 NIC
SB ModemBlaster v.92 56k Modem
Western Digital Caviar 100gb 7200 RPM HDD
Toshiba 16x40x DVD
Plextor Plextwriter 40x12x40x CD-RW
Antec SX-1040B w/ 400W P/S

Problems:

1/ When installing Windows I get a "setup could not copy *.*. Please make sure the Windows XP cd is in the drive..." *.* obviously being replaced by a filename, which changes. A friend suggested a bad memory stick. I thought possible a conflict between CD drives because they are set to CSEL mode. When I tried only one stick of memory the OS installed without flaw. Then I tried with the other stick and had the original problem. Thinking I found the problem I then reinstalled the OS with the first stick yet, to my surprised had the original problem.

2/ When I installed the Audigy drivers the RemoteCenter for the Audigy Drive Remote was not present. Everything else installed fine the EAX, the StartCenter, all that stuff, but not the RemoteCenter. The remote was the whole reason I bought the Platinum package. Is this something I have to download or something more.

If anyone else has had these problems some help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thank you.

Shohn

I took care of the Audigy Remote problem. So don't worry about that one. I am still having problems with the memory dumps and drive errors. Anyone got any ideas?

I take that no one has a clue on this?

My only idea as to why it worked once with the memory chip and not the second time around is that possibly you discharged some static electricity on the chip? I'd get a brand new chip and CAREFULLY ground myself before touching it, and try again.

Hey wow I wasn't talking to myself. Thanks for the advice thats not something I thought of yet. I guess I ruled it out because it still worked and only erratically errored(?). I am returning the memory, though. If anyone is looking for a good online pc product provider with decent prices and good service I suggest They are pretty much taking back my memory with no questions asked besides "What is wrong with it?" I dont know, maybe they will test it when they get it but I haven't had any trouble with them yet.

Could be a memory problem, but if not...

I would try copying the CD to the hard drive and running setup from there. Since it seems to be an intermittent problem, it could be a conflict with the CD and DVD drives. Windows might be looking at the wrong one when it prompts for a specific file.

If copying to the hard drive doesn't help, then try formatting/partitioning the drive and starting over.

Does the CD have any noticeable scratches? Is there another stick of memory you could take out of another system temporarily to try?

NewEgg is the BEST site I've ever used, also. Best prices, best shipping,best quality, and best service "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing....." [morning]

Newegg is a great site, they have just about everything there is. Another good one is I just built an excellent system between the services of these 2 sites, if Newegg doesn't have it MWAVE will, and the shipping is equally priced between the 2 of them.

Just trying to help, hope I did.

[cheers]
[pc3]

OK I will try copying the disc to the HD. To my knowledge though the disc didn't have any significant scratches. I know a friend offered to install my HD into his computer and then proceed to install the OS from his system then put it back into my tower, but we didn't try that. As for trying to switch out RAM it seems that out of my friends I am the only one that is an AMD enthusiast, they all have Intel and RDRAM so that takes care of selective interchange. I will have to try and find someone with some DDR. I will also have to check out MWave.com. Thanks everyone for the advice!

Remember also that when you install an OS, drivers and settings are determined by the existing hardware in the system. So when you plop the HD back into your system after loading it in your friend's pc, it might not even boot.

There are ways around it if you've got the time and patience. However, I wouldn't suggest doing it that way unless it's your last resort...

~cdogg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back