Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Memory Management

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ma3x323

Programmer
Jun 27, 2001
US
Hello,
I was wondering if anybody knows much about Windows ME, 2000 and XP memory management. Any links to web sites would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.
-Feryl
--> Just a silly software engineer wannabee.
If you feel a post has been helpful to you, click on the link at the bottom of their post to cast a vote for "TipMaster Of The Week". You don't need to be the one who asked the question to vote.

What is it you want to know? James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

Well,
It is sort of a research project and I wanted to compare the different Windows platforms (ME, 2000, XP) and how they handle memory management(w/o any special software). This is for both physical memory management and virtual.
I don't know if microsoft has a site for this but it would be very helpful if I can get some sites for it or at least inputs.

Thanks butch. -Feryl
--> Just a silly software engineer wannabee.
If you feel a post has been helpful to you, click on the link at the bottom of their post to cast a vote for "TipMaster Of The Week". You don't need to be the one who asked the question to vote.

There's a good FAQ in this forum about the Win98 memory limits, worth a read.
Win95 can effectively handle about 256meg of physical RAM before it's vcache settings need modification.
Win98 can handle 340 meg (some say 380, bit it's around there).
Win NT/2K/XP can handle (and use effectively) any amount your motherboard can.
Currently running 1 gig of RAM on XP with no troubles, but I had to adjust vcache to 256meg in Win98, and use ConservativeSwapfileUsage=1 (in system.ini) as well. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back