Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Memory Leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

LFB

Programmer
Jul 2, 2001
AU
Hi All,

I'm running Crw 9 sp 2 inside VB6(sp5) with SQL2000 back end on OS's WinXP, Win98, WinME, Win2k.

I'm finding huge, huge memory leaks occurring on client machines when they run a report.

When I first access our application it may be using, say 30mb of RAM (in Task Manager in the Mem Usage column). Then I go and run a report. The report will be large and it might add another 30mb of mem, so total mem usage is 60mb.

Then I quit the report, mem usage only drops back to 56mb. So I run the report again, mem goes up to 90mb, quit the report and it says I have 86mb. As you can imagine, a client machine with 128mb of ram will crash or at start paging very quickly. The mem usage is supposed to drop back to the original 30mb.

We are concluding that the report is not dropping the record set, just keeping it in memory.

Interestingly this has only occurred in CRW 9 SP2. When we were running CRW 8.5 this issue was not occuring. Does anyone know if there is a specific issue concerning releasing memory when running reports, or is it just a (another) bug in Crystal?

Cheers

Hi All,

I've done some more research using the sample data shipped with Crystal version 9. You can find this in C:\Program Files\Crystal Decisions\Crystal Reports 9\Samples\En\Code\Visual Basic\Inventory Demo\Inventory.vbp.

I ran this, quit the report (not the app), ran it again etc 30 times. When I first quit the report I had 49mb memory used. when I last quit the report (after running and quitting 30 times) I had 72mb memory used.

This report uses a tiny amount of data. Imagine what happens when one of your users grabs a record set with thousands of rows of data. In real life we are experiencing memory loss of up to 30mb each time the user runs a report. The implications are huge, yet I'm amazed there are no reported errors out there. I'm running build 9.2.3.787 which includes all the 'fixes' in the last patch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back