Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Memory Leak

Status
Not open for further replies.

GunsNRoses

Technical User
Jun 29, 2005
US
Hello All,

I have a Mitel 3300 ICP with version 8.0.7.16_2 software. This software clearly has a memory leak. I received the alarm below from the controller. This is an alarm that I also received back in January. The "fix" both times was a reboot. Unfortunately, we have a 24/7 facility where reboots are not an option. Does anyone know of a solution with either a software patch, upgrade, or downgrade that either fixes or does not have this memory leak?

Severity: Minor
Creation Time: Tue Sep 01 02:28:51 CDT 2009
Alarm: MINOR (Level 2)
- Cat: Mem. Used (Mb)
- Avail resources: 256
- Unavail resources: 246
- Minor Thresh: 95
- Major Thresh: 97
- Critical Thresh: 98
ICP: 2009 08 31, 15:44:51

If your facility truly does not allow service outages, then you really should be looking at a resilient setup.

Here's the overview. Buy another 3300 for backup. Buy enough IP device licenses for the IP phones on the first controller (assuming that you have deployed IP phones). Buy T1 combo cards to allow for your T1/PRI circuits to failover to the backup 3300. Buy EnterpriseManager with OPSManager, which will allow you to program your IP sets to failover to the backup system when the primary goes down.

Or you could just "accidentally" cause a power outage during the night and because the system is down, decide it's a good idea to upgrade to the latest software. (Good thing you were there at that time of night, or there would have been a longer outage!)

If you did not take enough time to get it right the first time...

What makes you think that you have time to fix it?

It's impossible to tell what is causing the leak without some detailed investigation. Most likely it's a combination of some call sequence that is probably unique (or at least uncommon in general) to that installation. So without knowing the cause of the leak, no one can suggest what will fix it.

I would check with Mitel support, they should know if there were any known leaks and see if they apply to your installation configuration.

Failing that, as paterson suggested, if it is truly a 24/7 you might want to look at resiliency anyway. Or, just schedule a maintenance night every 6 months.

I agree,
The time spent investigating will far outstrip the time spent on an upgrade.
Go for the upgrade...

Dave

You can't believe anything you read... unless of course it's this.

Sounds scary. If reboot is not an option (12 minutes at 3 AM?) , this setup must be resilient and fully redundant when you can pull any component out of service and not experience any global outages. If you need help with design, just ask.

An upgrade should fix this. I had a similar issue with some 7.1 and possibly even some earlier 8.0 releases relating to SDS not closing the I/O sockets on the controller properly. RTC shell command "iosFdShow" will show you the open I/O ports, the top end limit will depend on the platform.

Also, if you need 24/7, you really, really need to have a resilient 3300.

I currently have Enterprise Manager w/ OPS Manager. I also have a spare 3300, NSU, and ASU. I don't have the resiliency kit though. Do the two 3300's that are resilient have to be on the same software level?

We had this issue at two client locations running v 9. This dpar is fixed in the 9.0.2.36 or in 9.0 UR3.

No, the two 3300s do not have to have the same software, but when the IP phones fail over to the resilient controller with different software, the IP phone will download different software. Then when the set goes back to the primary controller, again the IP phone will download software. I would recommend the two have the same software. Just upgrade the resilient/backup controller first.

If you did not take enough time to get it right the first time...

What makes you think that you have time to fix it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back