Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Memory install fried something...Need debug help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdosser

Programmer
Aug 15, 2002
US
I reciently recieved a 512 DDR266 PC2100 memory dimm and placed it in my second memory bank. (1st bank has a 256)
PC was unplugged at time of install. Reconnected power cord and started up the machine. System check showed original 256 RAM only. Swapped memory banks (after power off and unplug) This time on power up there was a smell of ozone and the monitor remained DEAD. The fans start up and the drives start to spin but nothing else.
Removed new 512 dim and placed original 256 in 1st slot and power up. Still nothing (Dead monitor). Motherboard has built in video so tried a video card. Result...nothing new. Got another 256 meg Ram chip and put it in and powered up. Again, nothing, monitor is still dead and no activity.
Other than a mother board replacement or a CPU replacement (Both expensive experiments) I'm at a loss as to what could have happened.
Anyone have any similar experience or suggestions on how to debug the problem?

Sorry, but I immediately thought that Motherboard was the current problem.

You had a good power up including video...so unless you have a short somewhere that completed when you plugged in the RAM right before it blanked out, I don't have any suggestions other than to start swapping parts.

Just for the sake of being thourough, I would take the MotherBoard out of the case and breadboard it (keep CPU, RAM, Video on it). See if it powers there. If it posts, look for short points.

If not, then replace parts!

Good luck! ----------------------------------------
Groucho Marx said it best...
"A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five."

This may sound dumb but, with the power cord unplugged also unplug the power lead to the mother board for a few minutes and then re-attach it, and clear the cmos as well. Plug everything back in and give it a whirl. Also another one, when you installed the video card, did you remember to attach monitor from on-board video to this one? It does get missed.

hmmm. why did it only recognize 256mb after you installed the 512. is the MB rated for this type and speed of memory?
on the stick and the slot are there any fry marks?
are there any beeps at startup(how many)? if so, it could mean there's a memory problem.

i heard a story where a person installed new memory and fryed it at bootup. i asked her what she was doing before she installed it. she was washing her hands and she didn't dry them before installing the memory.

I have heard stories of people modding thier cases (cutting holes) with thier motherboards and hardware still in the case, but in doing that there has been bits of metal shavings get into thier dimm slots so when they put the memory in it shorts the whole thing out .... hope thats not the case ? cause most probally the M/B would be fried not to mention the ram

Later
NEo81 >:):O>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back