Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Memory identification

Status
Not open for further replies.

pintail

Technical User
Sep 18, 2001
US
I have a box full of memory sticks, mostly SIMMs with a few DIMMSs thrown in. Is there any way to identify what kind of memorey they are? I can install in a computer and find the size but can not tell if they are FP, EDO, parity, non-parity etc. Most have few if any markings identifying size or type. Sure would have been helpful if they had identifyed them at the time of manufacture!

Sisoftware Sandra Professional is a good software that you can install on the computer. After installation , open and click on system summary. It gathers all info about your computer and summarizes everything and shows exactly what everything is.

Install either Belarc Advisor or Everest to determine the RAM specs.

So what you are saying is I will have to install each stick and check it while runnning. I was hoping there was a way to identify without actually installing the sticks.

Yep, it's the only surefire method to determine exactly what type of RAM you have.

What about the sticks that are ignored, or stop the system from booting?

Then, either the RAM is bad, or it could be non-parity in a parity enabled system(fairly easy to determine -> non-parity usually has 4 or 8 chips, parity has one extra chip, i.e., 5 or 9), or it could be running at the wrong voltage(168 pin EDO or FPM come in both 3.3 and 5 volts).

Thanks to all for the feedback! I have an old machine sitting around and will use it to check the sticks as I find time.

I recently bought 2 PC133 128Mb sticks, one of which reports it is only 64Mb when installed.

The first has 8 chips of PQ3S168E75 and installs as 128Mb
the other has 4 chips of PQ3S1616S75 and installs as 64Mb.

I too would like to be able to determine the size of the stick from the chip part numbers in order to see if it is incorrectly labelled or just faulty.

Cheers,

Cheers,
Brodie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back