Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Memory could not be written error... 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

larry2633

Technical User
Oct 4, 2001
US
I am getting an error message on a WIN2K server that reads: "The instruction at 0X77FC9906 referenced memory at 0X00000000, the memory could not be written". I realize alot of you have seen this error message, but I want to know if there is anyone that can give me a true one time fix?

I have the same problem, in several different apps: "The Playa", for viewing Divx movies, and Roxio EZ CD Creator. Each time it references different memory addresses. I have been running win2K successfully for a month now, NO errors. I recently installed MS Visual Studio 6.0 Enterprise, and only now am I seeing this error (most recent install). i agree with one of the above posts, that it has to do with a replaced .dll, if it were a pure kernel issue I should have been getting this error all along.
This seems to be a widespread problem - any word from MS?

I'am also having the same problem on a Windows 2000 server running citrix. That error come from a badly registered COM object (ole, dde, ActiveX, Dcom). When the COM fail to register is TypeLib properly the error occur. I believe the error is reased because Windows 2000 is unable to interprete the structure in memory of the component, missing is typelib specification.

Unfortunately at this time I'am unable the say wich component is badly register... There's a clue at Microsoft : Q185193

So now the question is... How to find a badly registered component? Can we stress or test component one by one in hope of getting the error message?

Oleview.exe from the Windows 2000 resource kit allow to explore all com object. DCOMCNFG.exe allow to configure dcom. On one if my server, I'am unable to open DCOMCNFG.EXE, I always got the "Memory error"

I'm having the same problem on a Win2000Advanced Server with IE6 and Visual Studio Pro installed. It seems that the problem occurs only when I map a network drive and open a file from network. Two types appear : explorer.exe - application error Memory could not be read or written.
I have a SP2 installed but it doesn't do any good. Any one tried SP3? Did anyone solved this problem? I suspect that it is a Win Kernel error.

Unfortunately, there seems to be no one answer. This seems to plague all NT-based OS (See thread621-27217). James P. Cottingham

When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a minute. But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute and it's longer than any hour. That's relativity.
[tab][tab]Albert Einstein explaining his Theory of Relativity to a group of journalists.

I have seen this problem several times. It has been associated with software everytime. I have installed software under the administrator profile and when logged in as a user I get these memory errors. I have seen it with MS Office, EZ CD Creator, and several others. The problems can happen during the startup or sometimes later and at random times. If I log in as administrator the problems never come up.

If the problems occur during boot up you probably need to edit the registry and remove the run key for what ever program you are having peoblems with. If it happens randomly think about other programs you have installed. Reinstall of the app has worked for me in the past.

Hope this helps

J

The problem continues. I get this message whenever I connect a network drive, and after, I get a message to close the Internet explorer, beacuse it made an error.
It is irritating that a Win XP comfiguration works perfectly, and a Server, with all it's hardware possibilties, can not browse the network.

Hey guys I have seen the same messages, and i rebuild my system and 2 weeks later had the same trouble.

For my situation there is a very clear cause. We have a NT4 server and I am running W2K. if I set a HP laserjet 5 printer as default similar problems occur. Just make the fax, ort another proper printer the default printer and the problem is gone. So in my situation it is a specific printer driver, and I agree to one of the previous replies, setting the std built in fax as default takes away the problem......

OK. I saw a probable solution on NT Workstation forum on a same error message. Kandid sent an explanation. This error is probably caused by badly registered COM object. Run OLEVIEW.EXE and in ALL Objects group try to see the content of each instance. Some of them will probably raise an exception, almost certain more than one. I've found six instances and three are most suspicious - Standard Font and Standard Picture. Please, if someone running a W2K AD server could check out the values for me and send it. If you don't have this class registered, notify please. Check out the values in COM Library Objects on CLSID_StdFont and CLSID_StdPict, and sent them also. I have a reference in my registry on some unexistent path D:\NAVSERV\NAVSYS\oc25.dll. I suspect that this is causing the problem. I'm not sure wether Kandid ment on all unregistered classes, and believe me, number is huge, or just on those that raise error, but almost certainly the problem lies here.

The problem almost certainly lies in a badly registered COM object. Run OLEVIEW.EXE and under ALL OBJECTS try each instance. Few will raise exception. Could someone check out StandardFont and StandardPicture values and notify, also under COM Library in OLEVIEW CLSID_StdFont and CLSID_StdPict. Some solutions work if the problematic class lies in a registry for current user, but mine is probably in ROOT. Help me fix this bug once for all times. Beware of what you install. MS Installer has bugs, and probaly it causes this exceptions.

Hi everyone,

I confirm on my side that CLSID_StdFont & CLSID_StdPict raise exception and I've been able to fix them. You'll find it a little bit treaky but here's the way. It won't fix the problem completely. Some application don't crash anymore & some other continue. I still have 12 corrupted objects in my com. Only fixed the _Std one. Most of the corrupted other are UrlMoniker (IE 6.0?! Humhum...)

For StdFont & StdPict, I found that the setup of Groupwise 5.5 badly registered his component by introducing a typo in one CLSID. Under HKLM\Classes\Interfaces. The key was in the form of 00000000-0000-0000-C000-000000000046{} insted of {00000000-0000-0000-C000-000000000046} (not actualy the real key) . I tried to rename the key but another key was already having the right name. Information in the bad one was missing from the good one soo I Merged the two key and then the error was gone. What was missing? The TypeLib subkey!

An interface is some sort of a presentation sheet for the object to tell the os what function, Method and event he support. The object may have implemented an internal type of data that he need to register in the os in order to exchange information correctly. If an object don't implement a custom data structure and use the one of the os, he won't need to register his TypeLib. If he implemented a custom data structure and to the os is not aware of that structure (missing typelib) then the os will crash trying to read data that he don't understand... then BANG! Application error - The data could not be read/write. Following me? Good! :)

For a good troubleshooting, we need to know what interface our corrupted object use. Oleview crash before showing you the interface... If anyone know a way the obtain them (programatically if needed) please inform us. Being able to know which interface is bad would help us a lot!

In bref:
- A Interface missing his typelib will generate the error.
- A Interface does not necessary need a typelib. We can't say: Missing TypeLib=Corruption
- Oleview crash before listing the interface. We're clueless.
- Interface are listed under HKLM\Classes\Interfaces.

That's for now on my side!
Sorry for my english, French my first and I'am tired today! ;p
Kandid

Thanks, Kandid.
I tried to mess with my registry, but the day was too long and I had no nerves to search further. However, I have another XP machine in perfect condition and I can confirm that classes wich fail on W2K SRV, fail on XP too, all except CLSID_StdFont & StdPict. My error was : Explorer.exe - Application error The memory ...
After that, another msgbox appears, saying :
Internet Explorer will now close. And the fix for my case was very simple : just turn off the web content when browsing the folders. The bug is still in my WIN2K, but now the corrupted class is not accessed, so it does not make an exception. Someone misplaced my installation disk, so I can't mess with my registry at this time, but Kandid is right - you should repair your classes, or some day, when you least expect, they will get you ...

I'm almost certain that behind all my problems is IExplorer 6.0. Could this be the reason for this plague?
URL Moniker fails here same,buth on both computers, so I don't think that's the problem. Check out Active Scripting Engine - My Java classes report problems. I tried to fix the CLSID_StdFont and CLSID_StdPict by pointing to oc25.dll on my disk, but then the classes suddenly dissapeared. Under All Objects, I still have StandardFont and StandardPicture. What happened?

Hi, I have the same problem with Office 2000, Outlook, Word.

In case you hear something please ......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back