Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Memory could not be written error... 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

larry2633

Technical User
Oct 4, 2001
US
I am getting an error message on a WIN2K server that reads: "The instruction at 0X77FC9906 referenced memory at 0X00000000, the memory could not be written". I realize alot of you have seen this error message, but I want to know if there is anyone that can give me a true one time fix?

I'm getting the same error message, a lot. I have downloaded and installed SP2 and every other fix I can get my hands on. I also get another error a lot.. Windows Delayed Write Failed. Any suggestions on that, other than SP2? I formatted and reinstalled trying to fix these errors, and nothing has worked for me. Any suggestions would be helpful.

My company has been seeing quite a few of these and the only reports of an effective fix we've gotten back is to uninstall Microsoft Visual Studio 6.0 beta. If anybody else has success with this, please write back and confirm.

My company is using MSSQL Server 2000 and Windows 2000 professional. When I use the Import Export data wizard to create a DTS I keep getting the same error. I have also downloaded sp2 and to no avail. Let me clarify the error doesn't happen all the time The Microsoft Visual Studio beta version is not installed on the machine either. Any suggestions

Sometimes this error occurs because of a .dll file from the service pack that was overwritten by another software install. If Win2k Service Pack 2 was not the last thing installed, install it again. Marc Creviere

I am getting the same error message with Win2k Pro and the machine shuts itself down. Have you had a fix yet for this and if so could you let me know. Lindsay IT Support Analyst

From the NT4 thread on this same topic...

Changed from a network printer (an HP PSC 500)
to dummy "fax" printer and solved the problem.
Have not re-installed the printer yet, however;
that is next.

Noticed that the problem did NOT occur when
I was connected to the network. IE, Word, others
triggered the error.

stuckym@prodigy.net

I am getting a tough time with a similar stuff -- it says the intruction at 0x77fce69a referenced memory at 0x00000000 . The memory could not be read.

I tried SP2 but did not seem to work -- I tried reinstalling operating system and also reinstalling MSOffice 2000 but to no avail -- any suggestions on how I can go about solving this will be greatly appreciated

Gratefully,
Matt
matt_1ca@yahoo.com

Sometimes memory errors are from bad memory.

You may want to try using a different manufacturer of ram or replace the ram you have or if you have recently added more, replace just that ram.

Make sure that the ram you get is correct for the computer you are putting it into.

-Jason

Outlook 2000 in W2K gives the same problem every time I close it.

"The instruction at 0X00ED6045 referenced memory at 0X000308EC8, the memory could not be written".

SP2 installed. RAM 256. Perfect condition.
Reinstalled MS Office 2000
Nothing seems to work.

I have a client who is using a Landmark application called DSS; she keeps receiving the error message:

The instruction at "0x604b0bd1" referenced memory at "0x00000180". The memory could not be written.

Any suggestions?

Much appreciated,

Garry

I have the same problem in Win2k Pro when trying to Design, Print, or Preview the reports in several Access 97 databases. I've boiled it down to is having SOMETHING to do w/ Win2k and networked printers. The problem did not surface until after Win2k Pro was installed and the lastest HP drivers updated.

I on working on an XP platform that i have just upgraded from ME. Since i have installed XP, whenever i am on the net i receive an unknown Application error; msmsgs.exe---->
The instruction at "0x77f51f5f" referenced memory at "0x3019e240". The memory could not be written.-----> Would any of you know how i can resolve this problem on an XP platform?

ECC, PARITY, and Nonparity

Most newer computers have SDRAM memory modules that support a chip set feature called EEC (error checking and correction). To see if your system board supports ECC memory, look for the ability to enable or disable the feature in CMOS setup or check the system board documentation. You can also look at your RAM. If a SIMM has an odd number of chips, most likely it is parity memory; an even number of chips usually indicates nonparity memory.. Parity memory validates the integrity of the data stored in RAM. If a parity error occurs, the CPU stops processing the data.

If you're getting "can't write to memory errors" you are probably using chip or damaged RAM. Memory chips and modules can be high-grade, low-grade, remanufactured, or used. Poor quality chips can cause frequent "can't write" errors or GPF's (general protection faults).

How to buy good memory:

-get the fastest speed your motherboard will support. Check the documentation. Look for something like "use 70 ns or faster." You can use 60 ns (you can go slower) but if you go faster, like by using 80ns, then you're asking for trouble (kind of like running downhill, you system will get going faster than your legs).

-don't mix speeds. Make sure all simms are the same speed.

-match your metals - if you have tin leads, get tin connectors ... gold, gold.

- stay away from remanufactured or used ... you can tell by looking at the CHIP ID stamped on the chip ... it identifies the date the chip was manufactured. It will most likely be in a YYWW format, where YY stands for year and WW stands for week. Example: 9910 ... indicates the 10th week of 1999. If the stamp is older than one year, don't buy it. If the stamps on the different chips on the memory stick show big differences in date (several weeks), it's remanufactured. LOOK FOR DATES RELATIVELY CLOSE TOGETHER AND LESS THAN A YEAR OLD.

-The surface of the chips should be polished, reflective. New chips look like this. If the surface is dull or matted, or you can scratch the markings off with a fingernail, suspect the chip has been returned, marked again, and then sold.

Lotta work ain't it?

Hi,

I have windows 2000 pro.when i start my system i am getting the following error message.

explorer.exe-Application error

The intruction at "" referenced memory at "".
The memory could not be read

Is there any fix for this?.I installed SP2 but still no use.

any help can be appreciated.

i don't if this is going to help, but i found this on another site. it is correcting the problem in a specific program, autocad, but i was curious if it would spark some ideas for the general problem.

Error saving to a mapped local location: Windows Delayed Write Failed
Print
ID: TS67523
Applies to: AutoCAD LT® 2000,
AutoCAD LT® 2000i,
AutoCAD LT® 2002,
AutoCAD® 2000,
AutoCAD® 2000i,
AutoCAD® 2002

Published Date: 08/21/2001

Issue

You try to save a large file to a mapped drive that is mapped to a location on your local machine, however AutoCAD stops responding for several minutes then displays the following error messages:

Windows - Delayed Write Failed: Windows was unable to save all the data for the file.....

Followed by:

AutoCAD Message: Error writing/closing

You are forced to save to a local location or you will lose data.

Solution

AutoCAD cannot save large files (over 10MB) to a mapped location, if that mapped drive's target is on the local machine.

To work around this issue:

From the Start menu (Windows), choose Programs > Accessories > Notepad.
Type the following line, substituting your drive and path information, and press ENTER:

subst z: c:\files

where z: is your desired drive letter, and c:\files is the local location you want to map

On the next line type exit and press ENTER.
From the File menu, choose Save As.
In the Save As File Type dialog box, choose All Files. Enter a name for the file, such as drivesub.bat.

Important: You must include the .bat file extension.

Browse to C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Start Menu\Programs\Startup (or equivalent Windows Startup folder, where <username> is your NT login name), and choose Save.
When you start your computer, this folder will automatically have a logical drive letter in Windows and AutoCAD, and you should no longer receive any error messages.

i am getting the error &quot;memory couldnot be written' in vb6 whenever i try to connect my datareports to the database
can any one help ?
i am using windows2000 Nt

1) The solution is NOT to replace memory; this problem is far too common in too many places for it ALL to be bad memory. If the memory were all that bad, why are the failures repeatable?

2) This must be a problem in w2K and or XP. Looking at it, it appears to be a mistake it the &quot;operating system's&quot; tracking of/allocation of/referencing of memory doled out to some applications, and is most likely a problem with resource allocation for dll's. It certainly seems as if the problem is widely distributed across different apps and configurations, which probably means the problem is in the windows kernel. Specifics about what was running, etc. probably are not much help--in fact they make it seem like there are a bunch of unrelated problems that produce similar errors. Baloney--this is a M$ problem in the kernel, and they NEED TO FIX IT! I'm really tired of getting this error for progs that work just fine under NT.

I bought a brand new Packard Bell XP four weeks ago and I have had this from day one, every day, loads of times. In my case it appears in an error window entitled msinm.exe - Application Error

I would be eternally grateful if somebody could please help !!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back