Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Memory Basics...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CC21

IS-IT--Management
Jul 1, 2003
US
PC3200
PC2700
PC2100

...which one is better?

Im guessing its the 3200, because it has the higher number and is more expensive, but I wanted to know the differences between them.

You can do a google search to find most of these kinds of answers, but here's a basic explanation:

PC3200 - 400MHz
PC2700 - 333MHz
PC2100 - 266MHz

~cdogg
[tab]"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources"
[tab][tab]- A. Einstein

I think the answer really depends on what your system requires. If your motherboard can support PC3200 DDR RAM, then I would use that. But if your motherboard can only support PC2700 or lower, then there is really no reason to waste your money on PC3200. My understanding is that it will still work but will run at the lower bus speeds, so what's the point?

The only reason to consider otherwise may be if you plan on someday purchasing a PC that can use PC3200 RAM and want to make sure your current RAM purchase would not be wasted. But with the price of RAM dropping seemingly every other day, this argument is not really a good one.

I just came to find out that memory comes in 3 grades (similar to gasoline). Which mem stick does anyone recommend?
standard grade, premium grade, or super premium grade

Does one operate better than the other or is this a company's way of making a little extra profit?

The real kicker is this: match your ram's bus with that of your board's and your cpu... if your cpu's fsb is only 333, your board's 400, go with the PC 2700 because you're only going to bottleneck at the proc if you get the 3200 ram.

Depending on what you can afford, I'd definately say grab a stick of DDR400, even if your fsb may be 333MHz. You will get better performance with 333MHz ram with a 333MHz fsb, so run the ram at that underclocked speed; the benefit being your next upgrade you will not have to replace the ram again.

Ah CC21, but unlike gasoline, dakota81 has stated something very important: "... grab a stick of DDR400, even if your fsb may be 333MHz...the benefit being your next upgrade you will not have to replace the ram again." I would love to see regular as clean and as well as premium!

Buying ram isn't a cash shake-down. No company is going to take you for a boat-load and you wind up with crap. That's what the dealers are for!

Selecting your ram is important because you don't want to have to spend more on ram 6 mons to a year later because it's not enough. Don't just buy for the moment, buy for the future... 18 - 24 months minimum!

The quality of the memory is usually referring to the layering, noise and CAS latency of the CPU.

Your 'premium memory' will generally tend to be 6-layer, low noise and have a CAS latency of 2, whereas the others are manufactured with lowest possible standards.

Some motherboards require 6-layer over 4-layer while others will simply perform better with a CAS latency of 2 as opposed to 2.5 and 3. Typically, your CAS latency 2 chips are the dual-channel ddr chips, but not always.

I would suggest reading up on what the best your board can support and how much you can afford to spend and make a educated decision from there.

Cheers!

In addition to edemiere's comments, I would make sure you buy CAS 2 or CAS 2.5, and stay away from CAS 3.

Normally, that is the main distinction between regular (CAS 3), premium (CAS 2.5), and super premium (CAS 2). The lower the latency, the better the overall performance.

~cdogg
[tab]"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources"
[tab][tab]- A. Einstein

One of the deceptions is going by CAS (or CL) only, and ignoring the other memory settings, because they are just as important to performance too, which is why I don't care for "regular", "premium", or "super premium" labelling. A stick with a CL2.5 2-2-5 1T timing is unquestionably better than CL2 3-3-7 2T timing.

The most important factor in buying memory, I think, is going with a name brand, such as Kinston, or Crucial, because they offer and stand behind lifetime warranties on their memory. Kingston, for instance, I haven't had to return memory to them, but I did return a network card once, and they replaced it, sent it back to me fedex 2-day air which made the shipping costs more expensive to them than what I paid for the card! That's great warranty service.

You can buy the highest quality RAM and not be able to use it if it is incompatible with your motherboard.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back