Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Memory and page file usage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lando2

Technical User
Jul 4, 2001
GB
Hi

We have 3 mail servers, 1 is working fine, the other 2 are slow and problematic. The only real difference I can see is that the working one is using all its pagefile and memory for the store and the dodgy ones aren't, so they are having to drag data from the SAN which is relatively slow compared to the local disk and memory.

See picture of task managers here:

I cant see any differences in config between the servers, ii'm guessing it maybe a reg entry, but then that would be like looking for a needle in a haystack. So has anyone got any ideas whats going on?

Cheers

Obviously, since you are using a SAN disk for a potential disk intensive task, you will loose time, lots of it, and your server will suffer from that BIG time.
There were already several post regarding that issue, bottom line was always the same: DON'T use networked disks on an Exchange or other disk hungry system.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
How Do You Get Great Answers To my Tek-Tips Questions?
[/sub]
See faq222-2244

Lando,

Just curious if you ever got to the bottom of your issue.

I'm currently experiencing (suffering) from the exact opposite - My exchange server grows the pagefile so large that apps and services can no longer function. I would like to see the server better balance RAM and pagefile usage. This happened relatively shortly after Exchange 2003 service pack 1 and the installation of the veritas backup exec agent for windows servers.

Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back