Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MEMO file is missing/invalid 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

fox26apgmr

Programmer
Apr 30, 2002
US
Hi,
There is no problem when the application access the data. We get this error ONLY when we try to pack the table to reduce the file sizes. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance, Joe

I just came across a post that stated that there is a 2GB file size limit and that I need to do a COPY TO into smaller files PACK and then merge back. I'm going to try that now.

The procedure corrected the problem. My memo file is now 50,351K and PACKs OK. Before the procedure it was 54,688K and couldn't be PACKed. It's not the 2GB limit, right?
Thanks, Joe

The table has a 10 character "memo" field which is really just a character filed holding a number that links into the memo file itself. Every time you edit that memo field a new copy is appended to the end of the memo file and a new link or reference number is given it in the table. The old data is thereafter ignored and is just harmless baggage that is evenutally jettisoned when you PACK ALL or PACK MEMO. Since you got that error, the memo file was corrupted in some way. By writing the data to a different file, you basically recreated the memo file. I wonder though whether you ought to compare the memo field between the last good copy and the new copy to verify you didn't loose any data?

There is a very good discussion of the subject here thread182-762897 and thread182-699726. See also Neil's for fptfix.zip.

dbMark

WHAT IS THE ERROR MSG!!! IT IS IMPORTANT...
MAYBE YOU ARE WORKING DATABASE IN EXCLUSIVE OFF (SHARED),
YOU VERIFY YOUR SET EXCLUSIVE IS 'ON', TAKE CARE ABOUT THIS
SO WRITE IN YOUR CODE O IN COMMAND BOX : SET EXCLUSIVE ON

WHEN SET EXCLUSIVE IS OFF, FOXPRO NOT ACCESS TO PACK DATABASES

SALUDOS

GONDI

PD. SORRY WITH MY ENGLISH, BUT I SPEAK SPANISH

GONDI,

It seems that the error message is in the title of the thread: "MEMO file is missing/invalid"

another tip would be to turn the keyboard's caps lock off when posting a question/reply. typing in all caps is like shouting like crazy. better type in small caps i say [tongue]

peace! [peace]

kilroy [trooper]
philippines

"Illegitimis non carborundum!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back