Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MedPro and VAL MAC 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

telcomwork

Technical User
Mar 2, 2002
US
Trying to document IP resources for a LAN/WAN team I was trying to including MAC address for a VAL board they show up as ff:ff:00:00:00:00.

Also is there a way to view the MedPro MAC? I was using st link to get the MAC for the CLANs.

Thanks!

telcomwork,

the easiest method is this: open a command prompt window, ping the needed ip address and then issue 'arp -a' command. it will show you full arp table with entry for each ip address. the 'physical address' column is what you need.

dwalin,

The problem with the command prompt method is if you are on a different subnet than the card you are pinging the only mac you're going to end up with is the mac of the default gateway.

I believe, off of the top of my head, if you issue the "status media-processor board xxxxx" where xxxxx is the location of a Medpro, it will tell you the MAC among other things. I don't know for sure about the VAL board, but there certainly should be a way for that as well.

Hutch

hutch297,

yes, you're right. i forgot about routers. :)
it's hard to think at the end of the loooong haaaard work day...

Your VAL board should have an associated data module for its IP connectivity. Find and display that data module and you see which link is associated to the data module. Status that link and you should see the MAC of the VAL board.

This method will also work with any CLAN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back