Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MediSoft and Remote Connection 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

gwinn7

Programmer
Feb 10, 2001
US
Has anyone setup the product Medisoft to function over a dial-up connection?

The Medisoft application must be able to communicate using TCP/IP in order to access the Advantage Server Database Engine on the server. Medisoft support claims not to support this configuration, but I believe it should be possible.

We were able to get the dial-up connection to work fine, BUT we were unsuccessful in getting the application to communicate to the Server even though the server can be pinged from the client.

Any ideas? Done this before?

I am nearing the point of going with VNC or PC Anywhere solution.

Gary
gwinn7
A+, Network+

I am having trouble with speed as described above, I have a remote office connected via a 512k point to point DPL. I am going to try setting up terminal services, but was curious if anyone has tried the following: Can the advantage database be setup to replicate to another advantage db the way SQL can? I thought if so I could install the advantage db server on the server at the remote office and have the two stay mutually updated.

That's a good question, wiseman. I don't know if that is feasable, however my experience with Medisoft tells me it is probably not likely. Perhaps I am just biased when it comes to Medisoft, but I had to deal with it on client systems since the DOS versions and it was flakey then. I expected a radical improvement with version 8 Pro for Networks but so far am disappointed with the lack of flexibility with it networking.
Also, I just reconnected the remote connection to the server yesterday and they just called today to tell me it is offline again! They lost their terminal services connection to Medisoft on the server SBS (2000) and the clients in the local office cannot access the internet through the server. This server is in a small office with two workstations running WinXP Pro. The server is configured with two LAN cards, one for the local network and one connected to a cable modem/router with a static IP. It is running ISA and the workstations connect to the Internet through the server. Another office connects to the server with a PC running Win XP Pro and connecting through Terminal Services using a dial-up connection. The two local workstations connect to the server with a second router. For about six weeks everything was working just fine. Suddenly the terminal services connection was lost. Yesterday I went onsite and found the workstations could not access the Internet. I pulled power on the cable company supplied router for the cable modem and after a few minutes restored all connections. Today I received a call from the remote office. They lost the Terminal Service connection again. I have not been onsite yet but I suspect the main office cannot access the Internet either. My senses tell me it may be the cable modem router but I am not sure. It could still be anything. But I would like to throw it out here and ask if anyone else has any ideas. They rely on this network totally for Medisoft and the Advantage Database. This is driving me nuts. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

New to this post and want to thank you all for the input. Very helpful. Just set up Medisoft to run on Terminal Server and have successfully logged in from the WAN using remote desktop..that is after I finally figured out to connect using the server address, not name, which I don't have to do when logging on locally (LAN). Anyway, when a client (win XP) logs on as administrator I have access to all local (client) printers, but when logged in as a user one of the printers is not available. Anyone share this problem. What gives?

sounds to me like a permission problem. Someone with an administrator account has denied that user access to that resource on the server thats running terminal services. You must log on as an administrator and set permission to that particular user.

This thread is of GREAT value to someone like me just getting to the "Medisoft-ware" addition to a newly racked up server configuration at a new Surgery Center. If only the manufacturers of such S/W were as straight-forward and honest as all of the great members here! Anyhow - THANX to all !! I will post my results good or bad when done.

This form has been very helpfull! Kept up the good work everyone with the on going information! I'm going to be testing Medisoft ver 8 very soon under 2003 Terminal server! I'll be sure to provide my findings with this form!

OK done resolving ALLLLLLL the bugs that came up from the "buggy" software. I had a few issues upgrading from nt 4.0 to Windows server 2003(small business edition). NDS the S/W mfr. was NO help at all, they just wanted me to upgrade the version for 1500 or so.. I was not listening by then. Anyhow the main thing I was stuck on and finally resolved was in the "Advantage Database Server" (which is bundled/forced on people installing medisoft) and the PATH the program looks for when it first starts.

The ADServer needed to be manually restarted from the "Services" admin menu area. Then holding "F7" while clicking on the medisoft icon it forces itself to find a new/existing valid path for it to work. Tip: always type in the complete path (top/bottom areas) even if it already exists! EX: //1badasserver/medisoft/medidata/etc., the browse feature always seemed to fail (wasted much time there!) Anyways GOOD luck yall and THANX for the tek-tips they worked beautifully.

I have a Medisoft Office Pro Multi user version 7. I installed it on XP but the advantage Database program that it came with only works on W98 or ME. Any work arounds? or how to get an Advantage version that will work for XP or Win2K?

Firstly, let me say that this forum and thread are great. NDC Health's lack of straightforwardness and interest in really supporting Medisoft on a diverse array of platforms and environments can only be overcome by generous and knowledgable IT professional such as us.

That being said, I'm in the process of installing the Medisoft For Ntwks Pro V8 multi user (15 adv db licenes) on a Windows 2003 server. In the past, we've dealt with servers running NT of 2K. How different is it on the Windows 2003 ? Anyone have any good resources that will point to that issue ?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
-Sam
IT

Just read this thread and had to comment on the following:

- Remote access to Medisoft
The advantage db in the client server environment is intended to operate on a 100mb network. Any of those that THINK that you can get this to perform over VPN are kidding yourselves. Even with a T1 you only have 1.5mb and in addition inherent latency would make this not even a practical solution. Also, I assure you that you are at SEVERE risk of data corruption with this approach.

MS Terminal server will work fine with Medisoft. Terminal server allows merely the presentation and keystrokes to be sent across the internet.

- HIPPA and VPN.
If done properly, VPN combined with MS TS provides more encryption then even Tommy Thompson can require. In other words YES it is acceptable if encrypted properly and you are in violation of NO HIPPA laws.

Medisoft and Server 2003 Terminal server?
Hello everyone! Alot of great information in this group! I was just wondering if anyone here has been able to get Medisoft Pro Version 8 to work correctly with Terminal Server 2003?

Everytime more then 2 users try to connect to TS 2003 for medisoft I get

"The remote session was dissconnected becasue another user has connected to the session".

I have tried everything to reslove this issue.

I can have 4 users log into TS 2003 and run any other app nonstop with out seeing this "The remote session was dissconnected becasue another user has connected to the session" error.

Any ideas? Dell hasn't any clue what this error means and nothing on microsoft's website or support forms on this error message! Help please!

Dell power edge 2600
Windows 2003 Server Standard Corp
2 Intel Xeon processors 3.06GHz
5 18 gig (one for failover drive) Raid 5 SCSI 15,000 rpm harddrives
4 Gigs of ram
2 Intel 1000 nic cards teamed
PowerConnectTM 5212 12 port 1000 Mps switch
2200 APC smart UPS
Cisco Pix Firewall

4 Client Computers
Windows XP Pro Corp
Dell Precision 360
2.60GHz, 512K / 800 FSB
1 gig of ram
2 SCSI raid 1 15,000 rpm drives

Hi all-
I'm new to this forum and thread.
I was doing a google search for medisoft and custom forms and reports and didn't find anything other than VAR's. So with my next search I tried medisoft forums and this is what I got.
I know that this isn't the exact place to get what I'm looking for, but after reading the posts, I figure that either you'll know the answers or where I need to look.

I have created customized reports based upon the HCFA/CMS 1500 Primary and 1500 Primary Meidcare forms and adjusted them using the Design Custom Reports feature in medisoft 8. Those have been working fine and are doing what I want them to do.
However, the electronic ones are not. We use ENS as our electronic provider. An example of the Print Paper customization that I did for our office was in box #20, Outside Lab, I defaulted it to check mark YES instead of NO. I'd like to do the same with the electronic version that is sent to ENS. Unfortunelty my VAR isn't so value added, so his help isn't that good. But from what I gather, when the program was set up, it was set up to read a particular file (report) to use as a template for the ENS electronic version.
How do I find out which form is being used by default by Medisoft that is converted to text and then sent to ENS via WinHECT? I ask becasue I'd like to change the default (or VAR's choice). I figure that at least, I can make my adjustments and then rename my modified form/template to that which is currently being used by Medisoft.
Next, how do I export my customized report so that I can then give it to another Dr.'s office that also uses Medisoft 8? Or trade what I've done with what you've done?

Thanks-
Theocrat

Hi all-
I haven't recieved an answer from this board, but I did get a few from other discussions.
I've found that you cannot make custom reports using MediSoft 8 that are sent electronically. However, to get around this issue, you have to create your custom report, and choose paper instead of electronic for your patients that normally use electronic. So this is an added hassle. Instead of printing the paper reports, you export them as a .txt or .dat file. Using WinHECET you import them, and choose send electronically your paper files. This costs $0.43 per page.
So it seems that to modify any Medicare patient files, you must do this by hand using WinHECET (or I'm guessing a similar program that sends the files electronically).
I'm hoping that there are others that need to make adjustments to their electronic formats using Medisoft. If there are, and we're not able to make the adjustments that we want or need, then they'll be forced to do so.
Thanks for your time and hopefully this will help others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back