Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MediSoft and Remote Connection 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

gwinn7

Programmer
Feb 10, 2001
US
Has anyone setup the product Medisoft to function over a dial-up connection?

The Medisoft application must be able to communicate using TCP/IP in order to access the Advantage Server Database Engine on the server. Medisoft support claims not to support this configuration, but I believe it should be possible.

We were able to get the dial-up connection to work fine, BUT we were unsuccessful in getting the application to communicate to the Server even though the server can be pinged from the client.

Any ideas? Done this before?

I am nearing the point of going with VNC or PC Anywhere solution.

Gary
gwinn7
A+, Network+

Hi All,

forget to mention that I have open all required ports on firewall i.e. 1723 TCP ,47 UDP and 3389-terminal servies )

For the VPN, it sounds like may be your access groups are not configured to allow access. If you are trying to access a computer that is not part of the remote security group on your end and the local security group on that computer's end, then it will probably fail.

Again, the terminal server issue may have to do with user rights through terminal server. I would go over those carefully and double check them to make sure you haven't missed anything there. Check how the rights to the shared folder/file are configured.

Gary
gwinn7
A+, N+, I+

Hi Gwinn7,

Thanks for response.

For terminal services, if I use domain administrator username and password for logging in via terminal services, everything is working fine. But then I have created one user in domain and with that user name I try to log in in terminal services, it is giving me error "Unable to write c:\program file\medisoft\Bin\LastCon.cfg".
I have added user to have full access on medidata folder and on medisoft application.

Give me suggesions for my above situation.

I will also look for access group for VPN.about your reply
"If you are trying to access a computer that is not part of the remote security group on your end and the local security group on that computer's end, then it will probably fail.", can you give me little more idea?

Thanks

packpack,

What is the OS of your remote terminal?

If you are using Win 2K Professional, what type of profile are you using, a roaming or mandatory profile?

I had this issue when the profile folder I was using did not have the correct permissions.

Definitely check the stuff that gwinn7 mentioned, it will kill you everytime.

Hi Charipuki,

For testing purpose, I am using WIN 2000 server ( using just like PC ). But I am not sure what other our offices will use, i.e. WIN 98 or XP ).

The user who are going to use it is only accessing medisoft services via terminal services. No other application or never going to log on to our network. So right now in 'Enviroment' tab of user property, I have writen path of medisoft exe. So when ever then log in remotely via Terminal services client, direct medisoft is opening.

Can you guide me that what changes I have to do for profile. I have added that user in admin group ( on WIN2000 server what termianl services is running ) and everything is working fine. But If I take out that user from that group than it is giving me error.

Packpack

packpack,

What group did you move the user to?? Domain User??
Did you change the properties of your medisoft directory to allow the user group read write access to the medisoft directory?

It sounds like you are not giving the appropriate permissions to the user group of choice.

If you are using windows 2000 you have to set up a profile for the user (at least for in a client server set up). I am unsure how to set up for Terminal services.

Right now, healthtech is the resident terminal services guru.

On the Terminal Server, each app is best installed through Control Panel, Add/Remove software for each user by logon or "for all users". It works well enough over dialup Inet, almost real time with cable or DSL. The user login is the same as if there. Printer at remote site must be installed on TS to TS port. TS Client would use TS IP for address. If using office Server, disable remote shutdown. Better to add fast com Server for remotes with 128 Meg RAM per simultaneous user. Can also use dial-up networking to connect to com Server and then TS into network via com Server. Pretty slow, but it does work. This access does not encroach on cyber-HIPPA. TS client license unnecessary for up to 2 Win2K Pro's but Win98's need client license which come in 5 packs for $750.00 retail. 2K Server Resource Kit ($500? retail) is a necessity for the file copy utility and custom .mst's which some programs like Office need. There's a bunch of other details.

Ok. I've installed Medisoft Muliuser for windows 98 (allows 2 user connection). Both locations have Cable speed connections and are VPN/Firewall using Netgear FVS318. The VPN connection is great. Able to map the medisoft data directory just fine. One location I have only the client running and the other location the advanced server running. The client timesout most of the time or is really slow in making the connection. This was testbed for what I really want to do....I'm ready to upgrade to Medisoft 8. And am setting up an office with the Medisoft Prof Network edition. I will have a server with Windows 2003 5 Client license and the Medisoft software. Just wondering the following. I will also have Terminal Service 5 client license. Will I be able to have 5 concurrent users on the server running the Medisoft software. Meaning, I will not be installing the Medisoft client on each individual computers. I will have all users just terminal service to the windows 2003 and bring up the medisoft software. Is Medisoft capable of handling individual processing?

I need help in a hurry! I've successfully set up win2k and have activated terminal services. All computers on the local network are able to access the server and the medisoft application using the terminal services client, all but my remote client. I'm using dsl on a Cayman 3346 router. can someone please tell me what aspect of the remote access configuration that I'm missing. What additional configuration must I do on the server side and on the remote client side

Isaraprince,

Open terminal service port, if you have firewal in touter/ stand alone router.

I had opened the terminal services port 3389 but on my client side I keep getting the same message "server is busy try again later" I have yet to enable my firewall so taht is not a part of the problem.I think that my problem resides on the client side, but no firewall is enabled there yet either. So what else could be my problem?

From my home when I was trying to connect to my office, I was also receiving same error. I called comcast cable Internet provider. They told me everything is fione but still I am not able to connect to office via terminal client from my home. Now I am using VPN.

Try some other computer to connect to terminal server.

do you use terminal services through vpn? And are you able to connect remotely to your service? Does vpn allow me to bypass the terminal service process?

I have been working with this issue for years. Terminal services is the only way to get the remote to work- consistanly. There are some techs at Medisoft that will tell you it can be done another way- have them walk you thru it because it cannot be done. Get terminal services, and put it to bed....

For terminal service to work remotely, the remote user has to be granted the right to log on locally unto the server. I have terminal services running and no issues with running the application

ADSL, Alcatel modem, Win2K server, WinXP remote user

If Medisoft works with Terminal Services as described, this thread is a life saver! I am attempting to set up Medisoft between two offices with SBS 2000 and WinXP. Although the sales rep at NDC assured me I could do this with VPN, I learned later from a local Medisoft support company that it was slow. They recommended Terminal Services but did not elaborate on the configuration. I spent most of this afternoon searching the web for answers and found this forum. This is the first place that seems to have any real answers and posted feedback on such a configuration. You guys are great!
As I understand it, SBS 2000 includes Terminal Services Server and Windows XP Professional includes one Terminal Services client access license. This makes set up easier and less expensive. As for Medisoft, their Knowledge Base and support are not impressive. Forums such as this make their support pale in comparison.

I'm setting up a windows 2003 server and I'm wondering if anyone has ran Medisoft Pro version 8 on Windows 2003 standard server with active directory, dns, dhcp and basic file serving services all on one 2003 server?

Also, I'm wanting to use a modem on the same server with 2003 server terminal service for electronic billing for medisoft!

Just wondering if anyone has had any major issues with this type of set up?

Dell power edge 2600
Windows 2003 Server Standard Corp
2 Intel Xeon processors 3.06GHz
5 18 gig (one for failover drive) Raid 5 SCSI 15,000 rpm harddrives
4 Gigs of ram
2 Intel 1000 nic cards
PowerConnectTM 5212 12 port 1000 Mps switch
2200 APC smart UPS
Cisco Pix Firewall

4 Client Computers
Windows XP Pro Corp
Dell Precision 360
2.60GHz, 512K / 800 FSB
1 gig of ram
2 SCSI raid 1 15,000 rpm drives

I can tell you after working with Medisoft for years, this won't work this way. Look on the side of the MediSoft box- it talks about 100mps and a switch.... you won't get this speed. You have to use Terminal Services and serve it up from your server. I have several hundred installations-

I successfully set up a dial-up connection between two offices using Medisoft 8 Pro and Terminal Services. Unfortunately after only a month the connection was broken and I am now trying to locate the problem and reconnect the remote computer to the server.
While setting it up I discovered that this configuration presents a major security problem. I am running Medisoft on a single server and two workstations in the home office and remotely connecting to the server to use Medisoft on the server from a remote location. The problem is that I also need to monitor the server remotely and it is necessary to run Terminal Services in Administration Mode instead of Application Mode. This means that whoever accesses the server from the remote office has to have administrator permissions as well. In addition, Medisoft 8 requires administrator provileges on the clients running Medisoft in order to access the Medidata folders on the server. This means that I cannot set up user accounts on any client with restrictive access to system resources on the local machine and allow them to use Medisoft!
I have never been a fan of NDC's program but they seem to be very short-sighted when it comes to providing a medical office with a software solution that offers a high level of security within their own program yet does not allow for high levels of security on the server and individual workstations which is also part of HIPPA compliance!
In my opinion, as a IT solution providor, it is a security paradox.
Any suggestions as to how I can tighten controls across the network without affecting access to Medisoft would be greatly appreciated. However, since NDC states that in order to access the Medisoft files the user must have administrative access, I suppose that may not be possible.
And they are supposed to be HIPPA ready? What are they smoking?

I'm running medisoft on a 2000 server platform with terminal services in application mode and I had a problem with broken connections. My server is running dhcp so to fix my problem I assigned my server a static address while my dsl modem is running dhcp. My terminal services port 3389 is configured in the dsl modem for a specific address, therfore, that address can't change or terminal services will lose it's connection.As to your other problem,why do find it neccessary to remotely manage in administration mode?I've been able to monitor my server in application mode with out a problem.I have one administrative log in account for that purpose.every one else logs on to terminal services in one specific group with full control permissions set for the medisoft application only.That gives them the administrator privlege they need to run medisoft with out error.Have you tried setting policies that will enable certain users or groups access to terminal services with out having full admin privleges?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back