Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Median - on summarised data 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankTWall

Technical User
Jun 29, 2005
AU
I have searched this forum and cannot get my head around the correct way to solve this problem
CRW V8.5, Oracle DB

I have a report with 3 groups
G1 - Case status
G2 - case type
G3 - case ID

I have a formula that identifies which events in a case I want to count in the details section and I have then summed it in Group 3. Formula is very simple

if (isnull({CSRCSEV.CSRCSEV_DAYS}) or {CSRCSEV.CSRCSEV_DAYS} =1 )then 1

For example,

G1 - Finalised
G2 - Criminal Sum
G3 - case# 1111 2 (2 events for that case meet the criteria etc)
case# 2222 2
case# 3333 3
case# 4444 4
case# 4477 5

G2 - Civil
G3 - Case# 5555 4
Case# 6666 7

G1 - Pending
G2 - Criminal
G3 - Case# 321 5
Case# 4456 6

What I am trying to get is a median of the summarised field for each group
As per lbass's suggestion on other threads re this issue I have done a Top/N sort by the summary field and then placed a variable formula in Group 3 header

whileprintingrecords;
numbervar medianx;
if groupnumber = round(DistinctCount ({CWRCASE.CWRCASE_CASE_ID}, {CWRCASE.CWRCASE_CTYP_CODE})/2,0)
then
medianx := Sum ({@Event flag - all}, {CWRCASE.CWRCASE_CASE_ID}) else medianx := medianx;

I then have a display formula:
whileprintingrecords;
numbervar medianx;
in the Group report footer.

I am getting the correct return from the variable formula in Group 3 - for the first group (I know I have not allowed for even/uneven number of groups) BUT I cannot reset it to calculate for different groups
I have also replicated it to try and select only a certain type of case but this has failed
e.g.
whileprintingrecords;
numbervar medianx;
if
{CWRCASE.CWRCASE_CASE_ID} startswith "AP" and

groupnumber = round(DistinctCount ({CWRCASE.CWRCASE_CASE_ID}, {CWRCASE.CWRCASE_CTYP_CODE})/2,0)
then
medianx := Sum ({@Event flag - all}, {CWRCASE.CWRCASE_CASE_ID}) else medianx := medianx;

Anyone with any ideas?
Frank

Instead of using groupnumber, add a counting variable, as in:

whileprintingrecords;
numbervar medianx;
numbervar counter := counter + 1;
if counter = round(DistinctCount ({CWRCASE.CWRCASE_CASE_ID}, {CWRCASE.CWRCASE_CTYP_CODE})/2,0)
then

Also add a reset formula in the group #2 header:
whileprintingrecords;
numbervar medianx := 0;
numbervar counter := 0;

-LB

Ibass you are a legend and many thanks for the quick reply
Now(there is always a follow up question), what is the best way to display the median for EACH group (they have to either be in the GF or RF

Many thanks again

You should be using the following formula in the group #2 footer:

whileprintingrecords;
numbervar medianx;

Or are you saying you want to display a summary of the results at a higher level, e.g., group #1?

-LB

Thanks again LB
I want to display the results of the formula for each Group in the Group Footer or report footer depending on where I am displaying other data (from running totals)
I am at another place today but late yesterday I set up a seperate calculation and display formula (slightly modified from your suggestion above)for each group. This seemed to work ok but meant that I had to replicate it (with a change in the selection for each) eight times.
Just thinking I should be able to do it all in one formula and then have seperate display formulas. Will try this tomorrow,
Comments?
Thanks again
Frank

I think you're on the right track. You'd have to carry forward each groups median with a variable. Maybe a simpler alternative would be to save the report as a subreport, suppress all but the group footers, and insert it as an unlinked subreport in the report footer.

-LB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back