Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Media Position error

Status
Not open for further replies.

majikal1

Technical User
Jan 8, 2003
US
I am getting what appears to be random '86's' while performing backups. The errors are occurring at various times, on various tapes, and on various drives, so the standard solutions listed in the toubleshooting guide do not appear valid (drives or tapes being bad).

Also, when looking at the Media and Backup Problem logs, an error is listed when this occurs; "ioctl (MTBSF) failed on media id XXXXXX, drive index XX, I/O error (bptm.c.14663)". I know that this reinforces the I/O error aspect, but I was hoping that someone might know more about this so as to point me in the right direction.

Does anyone have any ideas about what might be causing this?

I had this exact same problem. We upgraded the firmware on our LTO tape drives from 22UD to 27Q1 (which in turn broke the link between the Veritas Tape Drive driver and the tape drives themselves in Device Manager). Even though the tape drives show up as unconfigured devices, they work fine and this problem has not shown up since (and that was many months ago).

So, either it was a tape drive firmware issue or a Veritas Tape Drive driver issue. I was so happy to see the problem go away that I didn't take the extra step to figure out which one truly made this problem go away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back