Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Media Operation was terminated by user

Status
Not open for further replies.

manxster

Technical User
Sep 17, 2002
GB
My logs show that the backup starts but then about 7 minutes into the backup, it comes up with

Backup Type: FULL - Back Up Files - Reset Archive Bit
Backup started on 16/09/2002 at 22:00:40 .
The media operation was terminated by the user.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^

My backups are failing as a result. I keep getting this message every 7th day of my backup, the schedule is set to run 5/7 days so it's not always failing on the same day but it is always the 7th backup. I get an alert that the drive is offline but it's not as I run an inventory and it works right away. HELP ME!!!

Could it be that the tape is damaged?

erase the tape and try again, if that fails replace the tape and it will probably work :)

It can't be the tape because we only do backups mon - fri and only use 5 tapes so the seventh backup is a different tape each time. Wish it were that simple..........

Need to know what version of Backup Exec you are running, the OS it is running on and service pack level. Also, do you see "session abort" anywhere in job log or event viewer-->application log in Windows? If you could, stop the Backup Exec job engine, put '-debug' in Startup Parameters of service and start the service. Do this before the "7th" backup and then take a look at the debug00.txt file found in Program Files\Veritas\Backup Exec\NT\Data folder. See if "session abort" appears in that log. If you see this message and your OS is Windows 2000 SP2 or lower SP, apply SP3 or apply the 'Microsoft COM+ rollup' package.

thanks QDog, I'll give it a try. I'm running BU Exec 8.6 version 3878 on W2000 server with sp2.

yes, it says sessionabort right at the very end of the log.

I had the same problem...starting after I installed ISA Server 2000...
Apply W2K sp3 and see whether that resolves your problem.
There might be problems with the Jet engine used by BackupExec...
====================================
"...an application using Microsoft COM technology might be conflicting with Backup Exec Job Engine COM server. Microsoft have addressed this issue in post Service Pack 2 COM hotfix 18.1. For further information and to obtain a Microsoft hotfix regarding the potential COM conflict, refer to the listed Microsoft articles available from the following URL:
Microsoft Reference Articles

Windows 2000 Post-SP2 COM+ Hotfix 18.1 - Q Article Q313582.

For further information, please contact Microsoft technical support

Please note that the Microsoft Hotfix 18.1 is also contained in the Windows 2000 Service Pack 3 release...."

Thanks Mr_Tom, I've applied com+ rollup package so I will wait and see now.......

This seems to have done the trick, thanks, you're a star!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back