Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Media In Drive Is Already Assigned

Status
Not open for further replies.

JG5

MIS
Nov 18, 2001
US
I have a few subclients that back up to individual tape drives. Somtimes, when there is a gap in the time when each subclient backs up, I get a "Media in drive is already assigned" error in the job event viewer. I know there is plenty of space left on the tape. Is there a way to backup say a file system at a certain time, and then later that night backup Exchange to the same tape without getting that error? These are all stand alone drives by the way.

Thanks.

That's not it actually. All the jobs were going to the same storage policy. The option to start new media was checked. All good now.

Thanks.

make sure the storge policy is set to 1 stream.

All of my stand alone drives are set to one stream. I have several divisions, each with a stand alone drive to which a single storage policy with no more than 5 or 6 subclients back up to (File / Print and Exchange). Under the advanced backup options in the schedule policy, I had to uncheck the "Start New Media" box. With that box checked, the subclients would all backup if they were starting at the same time, but occassionally, one would restart for example, after another job or jobs had finished. Since the option was enabled, the job would not use the active media currently in the drive although it was "technically" appendable in terms of capacity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back