Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Media Explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.

grebnetso

IS-IT--Management
Dec 15, 2005
US
What is Media Explorer and how would I got about using it to access my backup tapes? Running Commvault on a windows server 2003 machine.

I used media explorer to restore a exchange server during DR testing. It will basically show you the contents of the tape.
It is a DR tool really.

Ok, so how do I use it? Where is it? (media explorer) And how would I use it to view the tapes used for my commvault? Sorry for the ignorance, and thanks for the help.

Media Explorer does not get installed as part of the CommServe/CommCell installation. As far as I can remember Media Explorer is on the Books Online CD in the ResourcePack folder. You need to install it and run it from the Start menu.

You should then be able to browse the chunks on your tapes and restore your data.

Will give it a try, and thanks a lot for the info.

The program I found was called Galaxy Disaster Recovery tool. It allowed me to manually place a tape in the drive catalogue it and then restore the data.(if you have more then one tape catalogue each one it will match up all the data.) Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I didn't even think to check the resource disk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back