Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Media Agent AIX 6.1 Vs Windows 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

bb021

Technical User
Jul 21, 2009
US
Hello All,

Quick question. Do you gain an advantage in throughput if you backup an Oracle DB(On an AIX server) by using an AIX Media Agent compared to using a Win2003 Media Agent? I am considering dedicating a couple Media Agents to my Oracle backups and was curious if there was an advantage either way.

Thanks

Hi.

I believe there is yes. I've never been a big fan of Windows as a Media Agent (MA), although CommVault provide the most MA support/tweakable options to Win MAs. I understand that you'll get better throughout with just about any other OS as your MA, especially Unix. [A side note - CV strongly recommend not using a virtual server as a MA, the expected I/O load would be too much of a burden on the other systems on the ESX host. I'd be interested in hearing from anyone that does have virtual MAs].

Don't forget to make sure that the hardware you choose for your MA has lots of CPU, lots of memory, and lots of disk. Oh, several NICs (4?) would help throughput too. If on a SAN, the fastest HBAs that the fabric will support.

Give it a go, compare throughput stats, and please - post the results here.

Thanks!

Thank You,

I will be implementing 2 AIX servers as MA's in the next week or 2. I will post the results after it has been in production for a reasonable amount of time.

Thanks,
Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back