Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

meaningless symbols from start up post onwards

Status
Not open for further replies.

milkplus

MIS
May 7, 2001
GB
hello
i hope someone can help me

i have recently got a new MSI Kt3 ultra aru motherboard, and when i use my Hercules 3d prophet 2 ultra graphics card with it odd symbols, letters, numbers and coloured rectangles appear on screen from first video card post onwards. If windows boots there could be a speckly pattern seen and it soon becomes unusable as menus and icons disapear and eventually it will crash.
using a voodoo3 or creative geforce 2 card it all works fine.

my specs are
kt3 ultra aru motherboard
1800 xp
sounblaster audigy
512meg stick crucial 266 ddr ram
80 gig seagate HD
300watt psu
various other stuff :)

i have tried with just processor, ram and graphics card and stil the same problems from first post.

any ideas as to why iget this?

thankyou for your time

Problem is the video card. The same thing just happen to my wife's computer a week ago. She was using an ATI Rage Fury Pro 32mb, the card just went out. You might also want to try just reseating the card. Making sure that it is making complete contact with the slot. If it still shows the funky characters and rectangles... Take it back and get a new one.

I havent read about any problems with your MB and Video Card, but that doesn't mean they dont exist.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your reply Redtech

the vid card is working with other pc's, just mine it doesnt like :(
interesting to hear u have experienced the same funky rectangles :)

i really like my hercules video card and want to keep it.

Another experience I had was with an older machine and video card. I actually had to pull the video card barely out of the slot to get it to work without those weird characters. It was the weirdest thing!

Since the card does work in other machines I would scour the net to see if there are known issues with your motherboard and the video card. It could be a bios update or something that could fix it.

Peace

check with Hercules and MSI to see if there are any compatability issues.
I haven't dealt with these companies before, but generally, don't expect them to admit there is a problem ( and their fault) unless they have a fix. Is the Hercules a much different spec from the other two

Also try reseating the motherboard. Make sure it laid flat, and is well supported, especially where you will press components in.

I've reseated the motherboard before, to put a new fan on. it seems to be ok
looks like the latest bios for the motherboard is the one i have. i've sent an email to msi but not had a reply, it is a fairly new board. only been out about 1 month

I was hoping for a nice easy solution

DARN

i am startin to think that there is an imcompatability and without a bios update i wont be able to fix it.
hope i'm wrong and i will keep trying any advice u can other

thankyou

i was wrong! [2thumbsup]

problem solved, i changed my power supply over from 1 that ran 3.3v 15amps to one that ran 3.3v 20amps and all is well

weird how it all worked fine on another motherboard with same equipment but i am happy now

learn something new every day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back