Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ME INSTALLED, PROBLEMS, USB, MEDIA PLAYER

Status
Not open for further replies.

gheenoe

Technical User
Aug 2, 2002
US
I recently installed Windows ME for USB capabilities. I installed a four port USB card. Digital Camera works fine with USB. I cannot get the printer to work on USB. Still works on parrallel port.

Also, Media Player v7.0 does not play my CD's. Why would this be???? Is gives me an error window saying this file format not supported.

Just use the printer on the port that works. As to the WMP error, go to the WMP website and get the newest version of Windows Media Player for Windows. Before upgrading at the URL below at bottom, ensure your old WMP is set to read all the file types it can in Preferences and that your computer is virus-free by scanning on-line at
Emachines, Celeron 600, 256 Mb RAM, 10 Gb HDD, ADSL.

I installed WMP version 9. It works great. I am currently using the parrallel port for my printer. The printer will not work on any of the USB ports. Are USB ports faster??? I sure would like to use it. The setup procedures from the printer manufacter (HP) and Mircosoft ME seem to conflict.

If the Parallel port works just use that because mainly, USB ports are if you have more than one paraellel port device that also works with USB and you need both but would be stuck if only the one parallel port was available and no USB ports. No, USB ports are not significantly faster and are most effective when adding USB Broadband Modems (DSL) (eliminates the need for a add-in NIC card and its installation) or external Hard drives.

The USB add-on you purchased may be bad, may not be supported by WinMe alone (you may need drivers installed to run that add-on that aren't installed or, the add-on is not configured properly). Emachines, Celeron 600, 256 Mb RAM, 10 Gb HDD, ADSL.

I have one of my USB PORTS working fine with a digital camara. I'm just puzzled why it won't work with a printer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back