Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ME - booting to msdos

Status
Not open for further replies.

LAGNAF

Technical User
Apr 27, 2005
US
There have been a couple of instances that I wanted to boot to DOS, but on the shut down screen and the boot menu it isn't an option! I can use the MSdos promt from the programs folder, but Windows is still running. How do I get around this?

Havn't used ME myself, but I believe booting to dos is not an option with ME.
To run dos you will have to boot from floppy. ( I believe ME won't create DOS format floppy's either.)

Hi,

Like Mike, I am not a ME user, but if you press F5 on boot up do you get a boot options, like in Win 95/98???

If you do there should be a option to boot to DOS there.!!

Actually you wont be able to do it, because WinMe does not have DOS (thus why it boots up faster) it has a console emulation within windows (like Windows 2000) but it does not have any real mode DOS.
Karl
kb244@kb244.com
Experienced in : C++(both VC++ and Borland),VB1(dos) thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, HTML, Visual InterDev 6(ASP(WebProgramming/Vbscript)

Just to make a correction regarding paulovey's comment, actually it's the F8 key you need to press to invoke the boot menu in Win95/98. I'm not an ME user because i have heard nothing but bad reviews about it.

Morelos,

Did I really type F5.... God must still be recovering from New Year :). Sorry people, I meant F8..!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back