Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Me Again - win 98 problem ( grrrr !! )

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOrakul

Technical User
Nov 10, 2005
US
Okay my operating system was win2k , while installing and viewing contents of a diffrent hard drive drive (as i have done before) i put the drive i had in before back in. But now my computer ask for 98 boot disk from floppy . What are the steps to go from win98 boot disk to win2k operating system.I have the disks and cd rom and don't want to erase my hard drive, just install win2k again over the existing win98 system.

Thanks

Orakul

Load from floppy disc, choose cd rom support. Then type setup.exe and just be sure you dont delete the partition and it will just install over the old but not erase anything.

have done exactly that, ( A:/>setup.exe ) but gives message saying bad command or file name

Perhaps

Setup is not on A:\
There is no PATH to Setup.exe
Type [letter assigned to CDROM drive] :
then at prompt
Setup

smitee

Yes, have done that . First , i went into bios and made sure the cd rom activates at start up and is recognived. But once i put the boot disk in, and select for cd rom support and at the prompt i type my drive letter nothing happens, says bad command or file,it doesnt recognize my hard drive. I tested two other drives i had laying around, they loaded right up ,cd rom worked and everything.

Ok if you tested 2 other hard drives laying around and they worked yet it wont recognize this one, im thinking the possibility of a bad hard drive. You could install the information on another hard drive and then when all done slave that drive and see if you can retrieve the data that way.

Sounds like a good suggestion, i'll try and see what happens, Thanks !!!

With a 98 boot disk, try looking at the partition table with fdisk and see if there is anything there.
If it is a bad drive it will report "no hard disk present".

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back