Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

.mdw, security... made a big mistake!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
ok... Ive designed and developed a DB. I created an MDW file. I then tried to put it on the server, but other computers wouldnt get the logon box when opening access. Instead they would just get User access.

i tried to create a new mdw and erased the old one. now when I go into my DB, I dont get a login screen and instead am not just a "user" as well, with no admin capabilities. I am virtually locked out of my DB.

Is there any way of restoring my old Admin capabilities?

Try and get a backup restoration of the old MDW. When you create an mdw you are asked for 3 pieces of info, which u should make a note of incase u have to recreate your mdw. If you know these 3 values (Name, PID and something else i think (or something along those lines)) then u should be ok.
The reason the other users wouldn't get the login screen (i suspect) is that you need to :
1. Include the wrkgrp parameter in your shortcut
2. The user 'Admin' should only be a member of the 'Users' group (and the Users group should have NO priveledges). This way, if users try to bypass the security, and just doubly click the mdb, they will default to 'Admin', and the 'Admin' will have no permissions becasue they are a member of the 'Users'.
Sorry this is a bit warbled.

Nick

Hi; Could you create a new dbase, (where you would by default be the admin and it would point to your local .mdw), then import all of the items from your other dbase? Then you could copy it over the old file if it is a shared one. Not super-technical, but it would be quick n easy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back