Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

mdw security error: "cannot open a database created with a previous version of your application 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertsquestion

Technical User
Jul 16, 2003
GB
Hi,

We are planning to move from Access 2010 to Access 2016 (using Windows 7).
Our databases are in .mdb format and they are 'protected' using .mdw files. This works fine in Access 2010.

But if I try to open the same database in Access 2016, I get following error message:
"Cannot open a database created with a previous version of your application"

I've already converted the .mdb files to Access 2003 format using Access 2003 (as apparently they were created in Access 2000). But that did not solve the issue, same error.

If I remove all security from the .mdb file (using Access 2010) then I am able to open the database in Access 2016, just by double-clicking on the .mdb file.
And if I copy and rename the system.mdw file (a new/fresh one from Access 2016 installation) and then open the database via the .mdw file I don't get the error.
But then I have to re-build the whole security setup in the mdw-file.

Does anyone know what I should do to enable .mdw security for my .mdb files using Access 2016 (without re-building the whole security setup) ?
Is there some possibility to 'upgrade' the existing .mdw file so that it is possible to use it in Access 2016?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Robert
The Netherlands

Hi Combo,

Thanks for your info.
I've gone through the steps mentioned at "Join the Original Workgroup Information File Without Converting the Original Workgroup Information File".
After doing that, I'm (still) able to open the secured database in Access 2010.
But if I try to open the database in Access 2016 (using the adjusted/joined mdw file), I still get error "Cannot open a database created with a previous version of your application".

Do you know any other trick to solve this issue?

Thanks,
Robert

The problem seems to be linked to old (prior to 2002-2003) version of mdw file, that has to be converted separately, access 2013+ don't recognise it. Currently I have no access to access 2003, but I found some links that indicate the origin of the problem here:
combo

Hi Combo,

Thanks for your update.

The first link ( looks similar to my situation.
At the end, the following is mentioned:
"So I dug out an old laptop and installed office 2003 on it, and opened the mdw, which I then converted to 2002-2003 et voila!"

I've also installed office 2003 an a separate PC and after that I've done the steps mentioned at "Join the Original Workgroup Information File Without Converting the Original Workgroup Information File".
But apparently that does not solve it for my databases.

Would there be another way to open the mdw and convert it to 2002-2003 ?
I think that the .mdb's and .mdw's that I'm using are created via Access 2000.

Thanks,
Robert

In access 2003 open a copy of workgroup settings file (mdw), like a standard mdb file. Next convert it to access 2002-2003 file.

combo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back