Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MDW file grows from 127kb to 80 meg??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

fogal

Technical User
Aug 20, 2001
US
How can I restrict this from happening?????/

I don't have any idea why it's happening... i think you need to look at why it's happening, not just tring to stop it...

any idea's?

--James
junior1544@jmjpc.net
Life is change. To deny change is to deny life.

You might want to take a look at: "Working with Large Program Databases ..." at The article discusses in depth some of the things that can lead to database bloat and offers some suggestion for dealing with the problem.

That's one large .mdw file.

To debug this, you may want to consider what is being stored in a mdw, which is user and group names.

As it turns out, you can open a .mdw file and look at some of the tables (use Tools:Options to view system objects).

Perhaps you can see if any of the tables seem unduly large.

You may also try compacting your .mdw file (although you'll probably have to do this while belonging to a different workgroup).

That being said, I don't really see how it's possible the file is getting so large that something else that we cannot ken is going on. Perhaps a hex dump of the file at various stages of growth may shed some light; but that's a level of hacking that I would not be prepared to go to at this point.

If you import excel data into your database, sometimes Access goes to the end of the file and imports the limit of 65,535 lines, which can produce a rather large database. Simple solution to this is set a named range in Excel by Going to Insert->Name->Define and then setting your range.
When you import, select this range, and you'll fnd things should work fine, and it won't be so big.

Nathan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back