Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

.MDI Files 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlbbud

Technical User
Mar 20, 2009
US
Now that I have Office2007 I can’t save a document file with the extension .MDI
From the printer menu I select “Microsoft Document Image Writer”.
In the “Save As Type” box I only have one choice and that is a ".tif" file.
Does anyone know how to save it as a .MDI file?

In Office2003 in the "Save as Type" box I could select .MDI

Thanks

As you said, MDI are Microsoft Document Imaging files. The Image Writer is from an old installation of Office 2k3, am I right? I don't see Microsoft Document Imaging in my instance of Office2k7 so I gather they ditched the format. Doesn't make TIF any less valid, and it's more compatible than the old MDI format. You may not even notice a difference [except in maybe file sizes]. TIFs can compress in LZW format so the file size can be smaller in B&W.

Ken

"cckens is a nick... why the H-E- double-hockey-sticks am I using a nick for a name? Am I afraid of who I am?"
-me
"...don't know why, but I think of chickens when I see that nick...maybe even choking chickens???"
-Tony (wahnula)

Thanks for the response. Their's only one problem with saving it as a .tif file. If it's multi-pages it only shows the first page unless I'm missing something.

Funny, TIFs can support multiple pages. (Not meant to disparage) TIFs are image files, but were meant to be for fax usage. Multipage faxes still are usually done in TIF files before they are converted to PDF or whatever doc format is preferred.
I would think that the image writer TIF would save the multi-pages. Try it, I'll bet it will.

Ken

"cckens is a nick... why the H-E- double-hockey-sticks am I using a nick for a name? Am I afraid of who I am?"
-me
"...don't know why, but I think of chickens when I see that nick...maybe even choking chickens???"
-Tony (wahnula)

Unfortunately the tif file doesn't save the document multi-pages. I did find how to do it. After you have selected "Microsoft Document Image Writer" in the print box, next select "Properties", then select "Advance". This is where you can select "MDI".

Thanks

OK, so now we know...
* for you! For reporting back and being a good sport.
As an aside, I tried printing a 2-page image and it DOES save the image with both pages. Some graphics software (such as paint, or image viewer) do not show the second page. MDI (the program) does show both pages, as does an app such as Photoshop or Paintshop Pro.
Such is life!
Thanks again for posting your findings!

Ken

-me
-Tony (wahnula)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back