Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

mdi and child forms??

Status
Not open for further replies.

99mel

Programmer
Oct 18, 1999
GB
I have a MDI form which loads up a Child form. I want one of the child forms to be locked into position on the left hand side... this form will always be visible. Then other child forms will be displayed to the right hand side of this locked form?

Is this possible.

Or has anyone got any code from which i can resize and keep the child form in the same place?

Thanks for ya help!

If I understand your question correctly, try setting the locked child form's top and left property to 0. If that child form's width is say, 300, then set the right child form's top property to 0, and it's left propert to 300. This will put the two child forms side by side.

As for code for when you resize the MDI form, try using the following for your MDI form's resize event:

With ChildForm1
.Top = 0
.Left = 0
.Height = MDIForm.ScaleHeight
.Width = 300
End With

With ChildForm2
.Top = 0
.Left = 300
.Height = MDIForm.ScaleHeight
.Width = (MDIForm.ScaleWidth - 300)
End With
-----------------------------------------------
"The night sky over the planet Krikkit is the least interesting sight in the entire universe."
-Hitch Hiker's Guide To The Galaxy

Thanks for that! i've set the child forms to go in the correct place on loadup.

However is it not possible to have the border as not sizeable... as i don't really want the MDI form to be resized by the user?

thanks again.

Why don't you place all the controls of the child form(to be visable always)in a frame on the left hand side of the MDI form and display all other child forms on the right hand side ?

Please could you keep me informed on this as I am doing a Helpdesk System/Billing System and I am having trouble with the MDI as well!

VBXL

hehe, i'm doing a Billing/Helpdesk system too!

ummmm VBXL... seems familar!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back