Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

mde to mdb 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

347pg

Technical User
Jan 22, 2009
US
A guy who developed a database program for us saved it in mde format and then moved to Europe. Any creative ways to get it back to an mdb so we can see the code and correct errors? I heard this was impossible but I thought I'd ask anyway.

The MDE doesn't overwrite the MDB so typically there will still be and MDB somewhere. There are companies that will contract to create MDBs from MDEs. From what I have heard, the results aren't all that bad. Search google on this or check Tony Toews page

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

They have email in Europe I hear.

(RG for short) aka Allan Bunch MS Access MVP acXP ac07 winXP Pro
Please respond to this forum so all may benefit

Yes, and the e-mail in Europe works! Unfortunately, the original programmer had no idea what we were talking about and was no help at all, sort of like your comment. But thanks anyway.

So the original programmer did not know what you were talking about when you mentioned MDE verses MDB? Something is fishy here. If that person did not make the MDE then who did? As Duane said, "The MDE doesn't overwrite the MDB so typically there will still be and MDB somewhere."

(RG for short) aka Allan Bunch MS Access MVP acXP ac07 ac10 winXP Pro Win7 Pro

I agree. Either he didn't develop it, (but it is very specific to our organization), or he just doesn't want to be bothered. We've looked everywhere for the MDB but it's no where to be found. I can't believe a guy that could make a DB like this wouldn't know the difference between an mde and an mdb. Someone may have inadvertently deleted the mdb, in which case we're sol.

Was it developed on your machines or elsewhere. I'm sure you have been global searching for *.md* without success. Good luck.

Was it developed on your machines or elsewhere. I'm sure "you have been global searching for *.md* without success. Good luck."

Your comment gave me an idea. I looked on another server and found an old version of the mdb. Apprecite the help. Sorry for my first response. Seemed like you were being sarcastic. Many thanks.

Seemed like you were being sarcastic."

Just not very funny.

Great news! You may be back in business. Thanks for the update.

I was once asked to make some modifications to a database that a company's former employee had "developed." They were using the MDE file and a time consuming search turned up no related MDB file. When questioned by phone it was obvious that he was didn't know what an MDB file was and that he was covering up something.

When it was suggested that a law suit was a possibility, since he had developed the db as part of his employment and had apparently taken the source code (MDB) with him when he left, he finally came clean. When originally asked if he was experienced in Access database development he said "Sure!" In point of fact, he was trying to make brownie points with management, and had no idea of how to even begin developing a database. He'd gone to a college buddy and paid him to run up the app and then presented it as his own!

His buddy apparently knew how limited the guy's IT knowledge was and in order not to confuse him had only given him the MDE file!

The Missinglinq

Richmond, Virginia

There's ALWAYS more than one way to skin a cat!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back