Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MDBDATA LOGS not clearing with Backup Exec

Status
Not open for further replies.

TobyT

Instructor
Mar 2, 2002
GB
We have noticed on our Exchange 2000 server that the MDBDATA logs are not being cleared after Backup Exec has been run. These are building quite quickly and disc space is soon going to become an issue.

Looking at the Veritas website for advice it says that in our selections we should be backing up the "Microsoft Exchange Information Store" but this doesn't show in the selections list for us to select. The only option I can see is for "Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes" which I know is not the same thing.

The only option that also includes the mailboxes and public folders is a virtual drive M:, though any attempts to back this up fail.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated

Thanks

TobyT

What type of backup job did you create and which version of Backup Exec are you running? DO NOT never try and backup the M: drive, this can cause a lot of problems for you. Forget it is there!!!!

Try creating a new Full backup job and select IS, System State and C:\ drive of the Exchange server, you can also add the mailbox option (brick level backup). Ensure on the Exchange tab of the job that Full is selected which will flush committed transaction logs. Exclude the M: drive and also look to exclude any anti-virus and anti-spam program directories.

The Information Store is what you need to be backing up and backing this up will commit your logs and reduce them in size. If you go to Edit your BE selections it should be there, if not, check the Exchange 2000 Server agent is installed correctly.

I would run a NTBACKUP with Detailed logging turned on. If there is corruption in the IS it will report it. Thsu there is never a sucessful backup that flushes the logs. Backup Exec will throw errors or not backup the IS if NTbackup reports errors.

Using Backup Exec 8.6 which still doesn't work as should however i tried an NTBackup this morning which has successfully cleared the log files. Thanks for the Advice.

TobyT

Hi,

We have the same problem, but we have log files going back to April 2002 !!

Can I clear out all but the latest few? What are these files anyway? Do you need all of them to restore, or only the latest one?

Thanks in advance for your advice

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back