Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

mdb permissions correct, but still updateable query error 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

themeaty

Technical User
Apr 29, 2005
US
I am getting an 'updateable query' error when I try to put data into an access 2000 database on a Windows 2003 server running ASP.NET. We've read and re-read about correcting permissions on the .mdb, the directory, AND the temp directory. But no luck.

Any other reason why I might be getting this error?? Thanks in advance.

What account did you set the permissions on?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Need help finding an answer?

Try the search facility ( or read FAQ222-2244 on how to get better results.

I instructed my system administrator to change permissions in the IUSR and the ASPNET accounts.

If it's Windows 2003 you'll have to set the permissions for the "Network Service" account.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will let my sys. admin. know and report back whether it was successful or not. Thanks!

My system administrator doesn't know what the "Network Service" account is. Can you describe where to locate this service/account and what it is? He's looking in a list of accounts but doesn't see anything called Network Service.

Right click on the web folder and add ASPNET account. Give it modify permissions. Tell your Sys Admin it is letting the programmer modify the folder not the internet guest user.

Generaly the error says "can't access the file" not the one you have unless it just has readonly permissions. Sounds like the MDB file itself is readonly. Right click on it and make sure it is not. This happens all the time when ever files are copied from CD.

Enter the query manually in access query designer and make sure it realy is not a non updatable query, like in the case of a join.

For windows 2003 systems, the account you need to give permissions to is the Network Service not ASPNET. Your sys admin should just be able to set permissions on a folder but rather than typing ASPNET, type Network Service and click Check Names so it finds the account.

This has been listed in an FAQ at faq855-5807

The Network Service account was the issue. Thanks for your help, ca8msm!!! This updateable query error is quite popular so hopefully I can help someone in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back