Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MDB or X-File?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katixa

Programmer
Jun 13, 2002
ES
Hi,

I'm the webmaster of an Online game fan-site, and I got some features that use MS Access databases to store things, such as game auctions or the site forums.

Yesterday I needed to check some data in one of the databases, so I downloaded the MDB file. Then I realized that Office 2000 was not installed in the computer I was using (not mine), so I had the idea of opening the file with the Windows Notepad. Well... obviously I can't find things easily there, but I though that maybe was enough to check the data I was looking for (the data is just text, so I only needed to check slowly...)

Well all was fine, until I saw some text strings that should not be there. I saw URLs linking to pictures, and URLs linking to personal free hosting sites to download songs.

And here comes the "x-file". I first though that maybe a "smart" user used the auction picture feature to add the links, or that added an auction advertising all those things. Well for my surprise, those records were not in any of the tables. They simply don't exist, and never existed there.

I then downloaded the forums database file, to check if the same thing happen... and yes, but this time with some other links (but again music containing URLs).

Later at home I checked the tables with my Office2000 Access, and (as said before), those records are not in the table. They couldn't either exist, as I do not allow to delete records on the auctions (but I do at the forums).

I simply don't understand where all this came from. Any idea? Has anyone seen or heard this before?

Thanks,
regards

Katixa

I suppose that this data is stored in the System tables and not in those you created yourself.

System files in Access? Didn't hear of it before. I knew about them in SQL Server. Well if this is the case, how can I check it out?

And on another side... how did all that data finish on my database's system files? One is supposed to have password, and the other, although is "open", should not be accesible either.

Tools -> Options -> View
(and check the system objects box)

This will unhide the system objects in the database window. I haven't a clue what they do or how data gets in and out...sorry Katixa!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back