Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MDB file security 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

ovs8

Technical User
Mar 15, 2004
US
Hi there.

We have an MDB database that's located on the network. It's MS Access 2000 file. It's been secured with users/groups security. I can open this database from my computer with Admin password.

- When some users try to open it they don't get asked username/password - Some of them get it few don't.
- I tried to use command-line startup options (/user and /pwd) but they don't seem to work at allwith or without ops. -
- We have 3 different Office versions in the office 2000, XP, 2003. Can this have something to do with security features?
- Which MDW file is being used for a file located on the network?

Thanks a lot,
oleg

Which MDW file is being used for a file located on the network?
A common way is to specify the MDW file in the command line options in the shortcut properties.

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

Hi -

Re - "When some users try to open it they don't get asked username/password - Some of them get it few don't."
When you create a user account it defaults to a 'blank' password - you need to log on to the database as that user, go to Tools > Security > User and Group Accounts > Change Logon Password, and set a password for that user.

Also, can you paste the 'target' properties of the desktop shortcuts you're using?

Hope this helps,

Bob.

- I don't want users to have passwords - in fact I'd like to remove all security from that database but when users open it they're not prompted to enter their name but still denied access to some of the tables and forms.
- My target is simple ..\Admin\Contacts.mdb. I tried to use /user and /pwd switches but they did no help me to open user/password dialog box, or solve the problem.

Thanks

You must include in your shortcut the path to msaccess.exe and the path to the correct .mdw file to be used. Otherwise each user uses there own .mdw file.

If they are getting in to the database in the circumstances you describe then security has not been applied correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back