Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MDAC 2.0, VB6 & Windows 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Structures

IS-IT--Management
Feb 4, 2002
CA
Hello,

We have a VB6 app that uses MDAC 2.0 to communicate with an Access97 .MDB file for it's data transfer. We're mostly a Windows NT shop, so when we install the program on a new machine, we check for, install and register MDAC 2.0 before installing the app. This has been working just fine for us.

We recently purchased some new laptops, and rather than run NT on these machines, we went with Windows 2000. When we tried to install the same app on these machine, the registration of the MDAC failed.

Upon further research, we found that MDAC 2.1 is now built into the core of Windows 2000. That's great in that there is one less step involved for installs (if we were using Access 2000), but now the calls in the app aren't working because of the different version of MDAC.

Is there there any way to install the earlier version of MDAC on the Windows 2000 machines?

MDAC 2.0 has some problems. Are you sure that you can't move to a later version of MDAC?

Install vb4, then vb5, then vb6 on different directories , this will install everything you need for this taks on NT and office 97. Jet 4.0 will not work with access97 or earlier so try and earlier version of OLEDB. DAC 2.5 also will work ok.

I probably didn't make myself clear in the original post. I'm the sysadmin, not the developer.

The VB development environment is working fine - the developers are working on NT Workstation. They have all the correct components installed.

Where we run into problems is when we try to roll out the app onto a Win2000 Pro workstation. We can't get the MDAC to register for the application.

Sure, I understand your position.

However, you (or your developers) need to appreciate that MDAC 2.0 is old (early/mid 1998), had flaws, and was superceded some time ago by MDAC 2.1, then MDAC 2.5, then MDAC 2.6, and - most recently - MDAC 2.7

(oh, and in fact, it is MDAC 2.5 that is built-in to W2000)

So, what I am suggesting to you is that you upgrade MDAC on the development machines if you are now targetting W2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back