Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

McShield Service Errors - NT/W2K 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mfor101

Technical User
Dec 23, 2002
GB
We have 8 servers, 5xWin2K (sp3) and 3xNT4 (sp6a). We have recently upgraded from VirusScan to NetShield (4.5 sp1)and now have 4 of the Win2K servers operating well. The other machines have problems starting the McShield service. This seems to stem from the initial installation where the service could not be started due to insufficient privileges.

The 4 NT machines give very little information in the event log about what is happening. The 2K machine indicates that it cannot find naifiltr.sys. Both the NT and 2K boxes show no hardware profile in the McShield service and both the enable and disable buttons are greyed.

We have tried most of the things suggested in other threads here about various cleanups of the registry and reinstalls. We always get the problem during install with insufficient privileges and then the subsequent service start failures.

We have tried the silent install described by NA on their FAQ and we've tried forcing superdat4238 with a /f. In fact we've spent days trying to resolve this. We are logging on with full admin rights and we've even added all advanced rights to the admin logon an NT box.

We've mailed NA and had no response, we are in the UK and our local reseller cannot help and also gets no real response from NA. There seem to be no ways into the NA site to really find tech info or even contact details. Every approach seems to end up at the support portal login screen and we apparently don't qualify for access.

If anybody has anything to help we'd be grateful as we are facing christmas with no real time protection on half our servers. At present we run manual scans at the start and end of the day but I don't really want to be here on christmas day doing it.

All replies will surely gurantee a place in paradise for the poster or at least our undying gratitude.

You can try installing the NS 4.5 HotFix Roll-Up. This can be downloaded from the NAI web site. You'll need your grant number for this.

Not sure if this will fix the problem but its worth a try. AVChap
... take my advice, I don't use it anyway!

I have seen the same problem after installing NetShield 4.5 on some NT 4.0 servers that were previously running NetShield 4.0.3. When you run the setup utility on a server running 4.0.3, the utility will automatically remove the older 4.0.3 version and then proceed to install 4.5. I encountered several servers in my lab (but not all) in which 4.0.3 was removed successfully and 4.5 APPEARED to install successfully, but . . . when I checked, the McShield service would not start (I saw the similar message you saw about the naifltr device, and I'd get the infamous "An internal Windows NT error occurred" message as well when I'd try to manual start the service). What I had to do is rerun the NetShield 4.5 setup utility, click "Remove" when the utility discovered that 4.5 was already installed, remove 4.5 (including its associated directories), reboot, run the 4.5 setup utility again, install 4.5 "fresh", and then, reboot once more. This fixed the problem consistently on the servers on which I was having this problem. I'm still trying to determine why the initial 4.5 installation worked on some of my NT 4.0 servers previously running 4.0.3 and not others.

I am having exactly the same problem with an NT4 Server. I'm receiving the insufficient privileges error messages on install.

Did you ever solve this problem? If so.. how???

Here is what I always do:

Create an "Service account" wich is an copy of the administrator account. (if you want, you can give it even more priveleges)
start the installation of netshield....
netshield will ask for an account and password. Fill in the service account.
The installation will give the error that it cannot start an service.
Go to the installed netshield services (sorry I don't exactly know wich one) and edit the account properties of that service and change it to the service account.

Now setup wil continue and all service wil start!!!

Hope this wil help!

I had this same problem. After it barks at you telling you that you can't install the services, open up regedit and go to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Mcshield and encapsulate the ImagePath in double quotes, and do the same for the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\McTaskManager ImagePath.

Just open up your services window now and start these two services, then click Retry in the installation and away you go!

I've tried re-installing having removed it but I still can't start the McShield as it can't find naifiltr.sys. The file is there and i'm running SP1 and also put on the hot fixes. Where am i going wrong????

Run the Unistall Mcafee.
Then run REGEDT32 and delete all references to
HKLM\Software\Mcafee (v4.03)
and
HKLM\Software\Network Associates\TVD (4.5.+)

Also delete McAfee Dirs from C:\Program files
Then run Install, thinks its a fresh copy apply patch NNTSP1

If this is an Install over Virusscan 4.0.3 there is a document on the NAI Primesupport area listing the steps of a manual de-install.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back