Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MCSE REQUIRED for any pay increase

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevehewitt

IS-IT--Management
Jun 7, 2001
GB
Hi all,

Just wondered if this was common practice:

Been at company for a year, had my first 'performance review' - and it went really, really well. They are very happy with the work that I'm doing.

All good. No mention of pay. However my boss mentioned a few days after to another worker that it's just a performance review, not a pay review. He then told me that I won't be getting a pay increase (other than the standard inflation related one) until I get my MCSE.

Now if I had MCSA and an additional MCP then maybe I could understand it. But as I only have my CompTIA Security + and I'm studying for Exchange Tech Specalist I feel pretty demotivated that it's going to take 2 - 3 years for MCSE - thus 2-3 years till I get a propper pay rise.

If this normal in a company?

Cheers,

Steve.

"They have the internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson

Did they offer any support in getting your MCSE in time or financial?
It sounds like a poor excuse not to give you a pay rise to me. I know some companies like their staff to have all the right badges to gain promotion but to say you won't be receiving any extra pay until you become an MCSE is a bit harsh in my opinion.

Steve,
I've had a short spell at a company that had the same kind of attitude to MCSE. I am not MCSE qualified, and the company knew this when they employed me, because of this they offered a lower salary which I understood. However they really want me to become MCSE qualified as the company wanted to state they were MCSE Certified and needed a certain amount of staff to pass to be qualified. This sounded fine at the time to me as I also wanted to go down this route, to get more pay I would need to gain MCSE status.

However here is the crunch, I would have to fund it myself I reckon a good £2000 ish amount over two years, the only time off I could have was for exams and not study time. Then they would review my salary which they said would go up about £800. There was no help towards any costs not even exams. I left and found another job instead as it was like blackmail either I fund the mcse myself or I get no pay rise in the company and stay the same for ever!

I have since decided I don't want to do the MCSE at the moment, and certainly do not wish to be pushed into doing by anyone let alone a company.

Cheers

Well the company will pay for the book, and for the inital test. You fail you pay for the re-take.

Whilst that seems OK, it seems harsh that the work that I do (which my boss agree's has been better than anyone could have thought - e.g. installing Exchange 2007 and SharePoint 2007, promoting the company from MS Certified to Gold Certified partner, Saving £0000's in licensing costs etc.) has no impact what so ever on my pay.

MCSE would be great, but I'm not desperate for it, and I don't see why I have the skills, do the work above the standard the company requires and get all round praise - but my pay is based on a bit of paper.

Steve.

"They have the internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson

Unfortunately it seems like even though you have a decent relationship with this company, they are going to use this as an umbrella to block your proverbial reach for the sky...

They probably have no idea how long this would take you to achieve but see it as a great way to hold you down even though they completely agree with your assessment of yourself and what you have brought to them. As unfair as this seems I have seen this tactic used in many professions, its a great way for businesses to shoot themselves in the foot to save a few bucks.

Being on the receiving end is quite demoralizing (I have been there also), aside from looking for a new job you are pretty much in a no negotiate position because no matter how much you do, they will always have that trump card in their back pocket....

If you dont see a need for a ton more money in the future, or love your job enough to just deal with the lack of salary increases then stay... Otherwise.. well, you know what to do.

As there doesn't seem to be a way around this you could ask if they will consider a couple of steps and start with an MCSA you should be able to get it finished within a year.

Four exams are required the client exam is straight forward so you should pass that in no time and you can use an Exchange exam as the elective so that leaves two exams to study for.

Steve,

I am in pretty much the same position as you do, the difference is that my company delayed even the basic inflationary pay rise this year, if they decide to give any.

One day I just realised that it's all ok without MCSE, but it's hurting me at the moment. So I picked up the 70-290 books, spent a week to go through them and another 2 weeks doing the Transcender questions, make sure I read and understand all the explanations, booked the exam, passed last week with 914.

Suddenly I felt that I can actually do it! Transcender was a big help as it showed me what I actually don't know about W2k3 Server and helped me getting used to read questions.

All it took was a few evenings and couple of weekends, once you passed the first exam, you will be so motivated and confident to do the next, especially people with so much experience like you, I am sure it won't take 2-3 years for you to get certified.

I'm also in a similar position. I was hired without certs, but they made it clear that I would have to get them. When I get the MCSE I will be eligible for a big raise but not before then.

Like Kbook says, it wouldn't be too difficult to get MCSA. I just took 290 and passed, working on 291 and then Exchange. I'll save the XP for last as a break. I doubt it would take you more than a year for MCSA.

Good luck and don't get too discouraged.

Dan

Sounds like you work for my old company. I was hired without any certs and promised a large pay raise once I got my MCSE. Well once I got my MCSE it ended up being such a small raise I just started job hunting.

I was only reimbursed for the intial exam costs. I studied on my own and purchased the review material and books myself.

It took me alittle over teo years to get my MCSE but I am glad I did. My current employer stated the MCSE is what got me the interview, and I did get that raise I wanted I just had to get it elsewhere.

Good luck.

You should ask if your company will agree to a lock-in type deal whereby they fund the MCSE but if you leave within 12 months you pay it all back then a sliding scale from 12-24 months until after 24 months you can leave without paying them anything back.

That's what my company used to do anyway (I would guess having people leave after getting a cert is a major reason a lot of companies are reluctant to fund them). They actually scrapped it here after a while as it was no longer seen as necessary (they still fund all training), I don't think anyone's left after getting a cert since.

At the end of the day if your company gets benefit out of you becoming an MCSE they should be willing to contribute at least something to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back