Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MCSE 2003 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omogg

IS-IT--Management
Apr 12, 2005
CA

Well the time has come to update my certifications, and I could use a little advice. I have gone down this road before (MCSE NT 4) and to be honest I am not looking forward to this little adventure.

I have been managing a windows 2000 network for years and last year I conducted the upgrade to 2003 for our domain controllers and most member servers. So I don’t feel as though I am going into this blind, and I have pretty extensive hands on experience. Enough about me…

I am looking for advice on study material.

I have picked up the Trancenders for all the exams I will be taking. So I am more looking for recommendations on books that will meet my needs. I have been looking at the Microsoft Self-paced training kits, does anyone have any experience with this set? I have also been looking at the set Sybex puts out, again any experience with this set?

Here is what I have gathered from online reviews…

MS Books – Not an easy read. Text errors and Exercise errors leading to frustration. Good detail and more in depth .

Sybex – Easier to read, information is accurate (for the most part). Tends to be lacking in content specific to the exams.

Any suggestions you may have, or experience you could relate would be very helpful.

look for both at your local public library!! if not there, ask them if there's an inter-library loan program available...

I tend to read everything I can get my hands on... and don't forget the examcram books as a good overview...

Setnaffa is an MCSA-2k3 (working on MCSE-2k3) with a few other certs, too...

Omogg,

Don't count out the used bookstores and online resources like eBay. Used books in good condition are as good as new books, and you can get them for 90% off of the new price.

I personally wouldn't go with borrowing from a library, as I tend to want them around for reference.

Wishdiak
A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA: Security 2003

I think I have lost my question in my long windedness. I am more looking for a recommendation on what books to buy. My company is picking up the tab, so I am not worried about the cost.

I think I will be going with the MS Press training kits and ExamCram for last minute study. This will of course be along with many Trancender exams as I go.

If anyone know any reason I should not use the MS books please speak now, I will be heading to the book store after work

I was in the same position as you ... NT4.0 > 2003 and lots of experience!

Just read the MS Press Books, UNDERSTAND the Transcender Q&A's and maybe a TestKing just before taking the exam, that will do ;-)

MCSE NT 4.0
MCSE 2003

omogg,
i go with the ms press books,
for the 2003 track they are spot on... if you have hands on as well you should have no trouble at all

Aftertaf

"Solutions are not the answer." - Richard Nixon

I only used MS Press books, those plus real world/lab experience should be enough. I tried a couple of Examcram books but personally found them completely useless, they give you summary level information but the exams generally need a much deeper understanding (or the ability to figure out the question is about applying one concept in an unusual situation).

Omogg,

The only thing that I would add is that the MS Press book for 70-298 is not very clear. For that exam, you might want to use the Sybex book, but for the others, use the MS Press books.

I've used the MS Press books exclusively and with studying and practice, passed 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293 and 70-299.

Wishdiak
A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA: Security 2003

Thanks a bunch for all the replies.

My study efforts have begun !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back