Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MCSE 2003: Which exam was hardest? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wishdiak

Technical User
Mar 7, 2004
US
I'm currently going to school for MCSE 2003, and have so far only taken (and passed) 70-270. I found the questions wordy, but not overly difficult.

I have 70-290 scheduled for next week. So far, of 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, and 80-294, it looks like 70-291 will be the hardest (broadest material) and 70-293 the easiest (less broad).

Am I way off base? I was just wondering about other people's experiences with MCSE 2003 exams.

Wishdiak

I have the 70-270 that was pretty easy... Was the 70-290 test similiar?

Er, similar in format, but not similar in difficulty.

Among those I know who have taken both, the relative ease of 70-270 compared with 70-290 causes many to fail the 70-290 the first time out.

This is one example of where Test King or similar materials may come in handy, just to gauge the difficulty of the questions, but I caution you not to use braindumps as your only exam-prep material.

Wishdiak
A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA: Security 2003

I passed 70-270 last March. Took 70-290 two weeks ago and bombed it with a score of 568... retook it today and got 656. :( The sections I did worst on were the same as before (server environment and disaster recovery).

One thing I haven't done, however, is heavily follow up on the suggested readings Microsoft gives in the second half of the press books. Some of the point back to lessons in the same book but a good deal of them refer to the Server 2003 Help and Support Center, which I've found contains much more detailed information. The information in the Center is duplicated in the Server 2003 documentation on Microsoft's website.

Since I've been through the first half of the 70-290 book more times than I can count, I'm going to leave it for now and go on to the supplemental readings, in depth this time. I also just got ahold of a Testking braindump, but I dunno how much that will help me at this stage...

I'm at least encouraged by the fact that my score is higher than the last time (though that $125 fee sure bites). I'll take this thing as many times as I have to, d***it...

Passed 70-290 today with 771! :) Now for 70-291... *cracks open book*

Exidy,

Congratulations! Any feedback on your most recent ewxperience with 70-290?

Wishdiak

Congrats Exidy.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)

[noevil]
(My very old site)

yeah!!
well done....

Aftertaf

"Solutions are not the answer." - Richard Nixon

Exidy,

Assuming that you're going for MCSA/MCSE, there's some good news/bad news about 70-291.

The bad news is that the consensus is 70-291 is even more difficult than 70-290. It's quite a bit harder to pass, and some of us will admit to failing it once or twice.

The good news is that after mastering 70-291 (in addition to 70-270 and 70-290), you'll be very close to your MCSA, and I believe that the consensus is that 70-291 is the most difficult in the MCSE 2003 track (assuming that you don't plan to take 70-299 which was the most difficult by far for me).

Wishdiak

I am taking 70-290 and 291 within 24 hours, I failed 290 twice already but feel I am much better prepared now.

I am positive that I will pass 290 but am hesitant about passing 291 the first time. I am actually taking it just to see what I fail on and use that to gauge what I need more information on.

I passed 294 today with a score of 901 and I have spent more time on the 291 than 294.

I am 4 exams short of my MCSE2003 atm.

How difficult was 299?

SimonDavies,

Good luck with 70-290. From what I've heard, it's gotten more difficult, but if you're prepared you should be fine.

As far as 70-299, I felt that the MS Press book did not communicate the material in enough detail to be able to pass the exam. After spending many hours with the Readiness Review questions, I was crushed when I failed the exam with 560. Maybe it's not the exam that's the problem, maybe it's the book. Eventually, I was able to pass it.

Either way, it's not a requirement for MCSE unless one wants the Security specialization.

Wishdiak

SimonDavies,
I took 70-299 to complete my MCSA two weeks ago. It was very tough, and I scored a 550!! I think i failed it because I was overconfident, I knew how hard 70-290, and 70-291 were so I studied for them extra hard. I kinda just took my chances with 70-299. Anyway, I used the free MS Retake and took 70-299 for a second time a week later and got a 950. The second test was MUCH easier..probably because I studied harder for it. If you can afford to fail the first one as I was, you will know how to prepare for the second one....not the best advise, but it worked. Good luck.

simon & derekwa
regarding 294 & 299..
well done both of you, glad to hear about others passing....

Aftertaf

"Solutions are not the answer." - Richard Nixon

derekwa,

Congrats on passing 70-299. Out of curiousity, what did you use to prepare the second time around?

Wishdiak

I am currently studying for 70-290 but all I have is the Official Course book from Microsoft. I did the course last year but haven't had a chance to really get stuck into it.

I have a W2K3 server to use at work but it is a member server in an NT4 domain. Is this OK to use?

What other books/aids should I be using? I really want to get this one in the next couple of months but I don't want to just scrape a pass.

Any help anyone can give would be great. Thanks and good luck.

I have to say that just having the MOC and a server in a standalone environment is going to be very hard work for you to study on.

2003 is all about AD and GPO's and as it stands you aren't using that machine in an AD environment so you can't test out what you are reading. I would also say that the MOC book doesn't cover all of the topics that you need to be aware of. Sure I know that RIS isn't covered in this exam but you need to know about it. I also found that the MOC didn't cover specific exam topics and is more aimed at people who need to know how to use the product not pass the exam.

I would be honest and say that the chances of passing the exam with your current materials is very slim. I would suggest that you get a hold of something like VMWare or MS VirtualPC and run a couple of sessions in an AD environment, also use an XP session to test GPO's on rather than your own working PC. I would also invest in the MS Press book to use as a study guide.

Good luck with the exam, I found it one of the hardest.

i second the good luck.......

Aftertaf

I just want something I can never have...

OK, thanks for the replies. At he moment not looking good! Just another question, is it possible to install another W2K3 server on our network but in it's own domain and then setup a separate PC to login and out of this machine? I don't want it visible to other users and I don't want it to interfere with the current network configuration.

Any help again would be appreciated. Thanks

Yes, you would just have to install it in a new forest. If you want to disallow users from seeing it I would suggest that if you can you make sure you are either on the same physical lan segment or vlan and then use a different ip address and subnet, I would also leave off the default gateway from your server and assign you workstation lan card an additional ip address on the same subnet as your server.

i'll let you know, when/if i complete my MCSE this afternoon with 70-297.......

Aftertaf

I just want something I can never have...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back