Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

...MCSD Certification is no joke! 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

CassieSimons

Programmer
Mar 19, 2001
GB
I read the posts about "MCSE certification becoming a joke" with interest, and I would like to know what people think of the MCSD cert.
I am an MCSD so of course I may be somewhat biased, but I also took all the NT 4 exams and I found that the MCSD exams required a wider understanding and really needed you to have quite some hands on experience - while the NT 4 exams that I took were more amenable to "swotting" and memorising answers.
In my experience, employers respect the MCSD certification, as it proves that they are hiring someone with a certain level of capability in programming.
What do you think?! Cassie@ExamsAreEasy.com
????????????????????????
You don't need questions
You need answers.
????????????????????????

I agree the MSDC certification is NO JOKE. and it is very respected. The problem is many IT Proffessionals who know their stuff with networks do not know much about programming to pass the MCSD tests. I am one of them. I know enough to create scrips for NT and that is it. I looked into the MCSD track and think its a dood idea. i just need to learn programming first. Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

James Collins
Computer Hardware Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Hi James,
I see where you're coming from. If you have an NT administration background and wish to move into programming, then I would think that you have a couple of big advantages. You are likely to be working in an environment where you would be able to see opportunities for this type of career move, and you have proven your aptitude for logical thinking - all you need now is to learn an actual programming language!
If I were looking to hire a VB programmer, for example, I would look favorably on someone with your type of background, and who had self-studied for, and passed, the VB MCP exam.
Personally, I think that the MCSD certification proves not only that you are a competent programmer (NOT necessarily a genius!!) - it also shows that you're tenacious and committed to achievement. Cassie@ExamsAreEasy.com
????????????????????????
You don't need questions
You need answers.
????????????????????????

I've been an MCSE for a few years now and I've watched the qualification devalue over time, to become almost an entry level technical qualification.

I was a VC++ programmer before going freelance on the technical side of the street and going with the flow into a series of senior infrastructure roles.

I've been considering switching back to VC++ and going for a MCSD rather than finishing off my Win2K exams, but I have to say that I haven't seen a lot of vacancies asking for it.

How many MCSDs are there out there?

Do you really feel that you get a return for your invested effort?

This is part of the point I was trying to make in the other thread. The point the thread was based on was how to raise the standards of the exams so only the qualified can obtain the cert, etc.

My thought is simply this: Don't limit your growth potential. Go for the MCSD, learn other platforms and languages, etc.

The MCSD will show someone that you understandthe concept of programming. And the nice thing about knowing one language is that it makes learning the others SO much easier. All programmers know this, but that doesn't mean they like to stray... anyway.

With the exception of that lousy Interdev test (who thought that garbage up anyway?!), the MCSD is an excellent way to go. The VB6 cert is a must for even beginning programmers. It's easy to learn and once you get the concepts, like I mentioned earlier, you aren't limited to using just one language.

For those that aren't, look into becoming MCSD certified. It's definitely not for everyone as it will separate those that can from those that fake it. ;) "It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission." - Rear Admiral Dr. Grace Hopper

RippleCom,

The last I had read, there were over 425K MCSEs compared to approx. 18K MCSDs worldwide. Go to and scroll to the bottom of the page.

Bra1niac,

That "lousy" Interdev exam is not a requirement of the MCSD. It can be taken as the elective exam, but is NOT one of the 3 core exams. And if it's any consolation, it will probably be retired by years end. (If MS gets off their duff and gets rollin.)

The biggest uncertainty to the MCSD exams is what effect .NET will have. A recent publication by MCPMAG implying the MCSD would move to a 7 (I think, 5 core ) exam format was not accepted well by the MCSD/MCP community. If I locate the URL to the article, I'll post it. Jon Hawkins

Here's a URL for an article about the possible future of MCSD & .NET:
... not sure if it's the same article that Jon was referring to, but I think you'll be interested.
cassie Cassie@ExamsAreEasy.com
????????????????????????
You don't need questions
You need answers.
????????????????????????

Thanks Cassie. That's the one.

I find the comments related to Foxpro extrememly intriguing. VFP will not participate in .NET, yet to obtain an MCSD in VFP, you'll need to be adept with .NET. Hmmm. So, I need my pilot's license to drive a car???

I totally agree with Paul Browns's statements. MCSDs are relatively scarce compared to the other certification tracks. Making it more difficult will definitely not draw a larger crowd. Jon Hawkins

I don't think the MCSD certification is a joke at all. First, let me say that I'm an MCSD and an MCT. I teach an MCSD track at night (current track started last October and finishes next month) and occasionally during the day. I work full time as a visual basic programmer maintaining/extending an enterprise application (approx 140 forms, 75 classes, 40 standard modules) that uses a SQL Server 7.0 database (70 tables, 1 million+ records) and also supervise a team of programmers maintaining/extending a web site using ColdFusion (16,000+ daily logins, 3 million logins annually).

Now that I have that out of the way, the MCSD is nowhere near the joke that the MCSE has become. Yes, there are some programmers who look down on certifications in general and the MCSD specifically. They belittle those of us who have taken the iniative to get certified. They're also usually the first to be let go when companies downsize. My certifications are respected by my bosses because I'm a recognized expert in what I do. When I have something to say, they listen (usually!) I'm also respected as an instructor because my students understand where I've been and how hard I've worked to achieve my certifications.

IMHO, the MCSD is highly regarded, respected, and will become moreso as .NET comes to life. If they make it harder to achieve/maintain certification, so much the better for those of us who strive to get it.

Any thoughts/comments?

I really enjoyed your post as it sounds like you have a terrific job/jobs, a decent company like the one I work for would always be happy to recruit someone like you and I'm sure you would be the last to go in a recession.

Of course, the MCSD is just a part of that, but it demonstrates your commitment and dedication.

I would love to hear about how you became an MCT and got a night job teaching, as that's something I've toyed with for a while. I think it would be very enjoyable.
Cassie@ExamsAreEasy.com
????????????????????????
You don't need questions
You need answers.
????????????????????????

I want to get MCSD certification and want to take the Interdev exam first (since i use this tool every day) and think that of the exams this one should pose the least difficulty for me.
I read earlier in this thread that the Interdev exam is "lousy" though and want to know why before i begin investing money on books and time/effort.
Does anyone have any words of wisdom or advice to give me?

thanks!

I have been programming in VB for about two years. My company laid me off eight months ago. During that period I have passed all my exams to get my MCSD about a month ago, plus MCP SQL 7 Admin. What consolation is there for me if I am still on the market looking for a job ? What would you advise me to do ? I have my resume all over the place already.

Kumrabai,

I'm so sorry to hear about your situation.

With 2 years VB experience and an MCSD plus SQL 7, you should be a hot choice for employers.

Where are you based, USA? I am in the UK and here you would certainly have a lot of jobs to choose from.

If you have been sending off your resume and applying for lots of jobs, but not getting plenty of interviews, then I'd think the best thing you can do is have a look at your resume and see if that can be improved.

If you would like to send me a copy of your resume to Cassie@ExamsAreEasy.com, I will try to offer you a few suggestions.

Regards,

Cassie
????????????????????????
You don't need questions
You need answers.
????????????????????????

As Cassie says, experience and qualifications are great, but a crap resume will always go in the bin. I recently got a CV with 31 mistakes in it. The guy had fantastic skills, but there is no way I would interview him let alone offer him a position with spelling mistakes for most of the key software he uses...

CV to zel@zelandakh.co.uk and I'll make some comments.

Cassie - you can send a complimentary copy of your book there too if you want :)

, but there is no way I would interview him let alone offer him a position with spelling mistakes for most of the key software he uses...

My spell chequer werks grate!

<grin>

I agree. If a person can't spell on a document as important as a CV/Resume, then what does that say about their attention to detail?

Another tip Kumrabai -- if you get invited in for an interview, don't bad-mouth your former employer. Maybe they ran out of money, which just happens sometimes. Or maybe your boss was a jerk. If the interviewer knows the local people (and the IT business is small enough in any one town for that to likely be the case), they'll realize that and take it into account. Even if they don't, if you keep your comments about him/her minimal, they'll pick up on that. But if you start running-off at the mouth, that's not good.

Chip H.

Chiph,
Fortunately, I have a very good relationship with
my former employer. I am using them as a refrence
to all potential employers. I may not agree with
the situation I'm in and their roll in it, but that does not diminish the fact that we got along very well. And even the decision to lay me off came from authorities other than the people I was working with. And you can't say bad things about someone you do not know or work with. I know it's hard to be reasonable or rational sometimes in my situation, but that should never be an excuse to defame someone's name. I will stay clear from such behaviour.

Thanks for the piece of advice anyway. I am sure it will be useful to someone else. God bless.

Hello,

I am very interested in your opinion about what my chances are in your environment. I will consider your input very important in my decisions for the future.
I live in Romania (Eastern Europe) and I am 22 years old. Next year I will obtain my University degree (Computer Science). I am working for 4 years now in an international pharmaceuticals company (GSK) as an Analyst Programmer. Separately from my job I have a small software company and I developed software for pharmacies in my county (also I am a small ISP). I am quite good in VFP (I have a BrainBench degree for that when the exams were free-), FoxPro 2.6. I am familiar with WinNT(administration), Win98, Linux. Also I master office applications like Word or Excel. Now I am learning MySql. In my agenda there are waiting Postgresql and Java until July 2002.
I am willing to work outside the country for a couple of years to get experience. What do you think that my chances really are in USA or UK?

Robert22 -

What do you want to do? Systems administration, software development (software for sale), software development (for use internal to the company), or something else?

I think your working for GSK is a good thing, as you'll have the opportunity to move to different countries and gain experience that way. Maybe they have a US presence? Maybe you could move to Smith-Kline, or Clinitrials, or Baxter Healthcare, all of which are large US companies with some overseas presence.

I'm not familiar with the visa process, but I understand that you'll need a company to sponsor you, and if you were to work for the international division of one of these companies, that might get you an &quot;in&quot;.

Another thing to think about, is the IT market in the US is not good at the moment, due to the poor economy. I'm hoping that it'll pick up in March, maybe April. They're saying the recession will be deep, but short (I hope they're right).

Good luck!
Chip H.

I agree with Chip... stay with GSK and work with your management to show your value, build up &quot;points&quot; by volunteering for difficult projects, let them know what you want to do and maybe they can help you? JTB
Senior Infrastructure Consultant
MCSE-NT4, MCP+I, CCNA, CCDA,
CTE, MCIWD, i-Net+, Network+
(MCSE-W2K, MCIWA, SCSA, SCNA in progress)

Chip, JTB

Thank you very much for your replies.
I would like very much to stay here and work for GSK (my family also works for GSK) but there is a big problem. The company is in a cloudy situation and all the software that I do is FoxPro 2.6. They are not yet prepared for Visual Programing. That is why I am willing to go somewhere else to work. I want to be used at my full capacity while there is still time for easy learning (I'm not married and of course I don't have kids).
I hope you understand my point. If you have time to answer I would be happy to hear from you.

Best regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back