Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MCSA vs MCSE 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Overclocker

Technical User
Jan 22, 2003
US
I know what the differences in the two are, and I know an "E" will probably make more than an "A", but here's my situation:

I have my A+ and Net+ certs, and I've sat through my 4 core MCSE classes, but due to circumstances beyond my control, my design and electives classes may not be offered this year due to low enrollment.

So, if I take my 210 and 215 exams, then 218 (which is a combination of 216 and 217), and already being A+ and Net+, then according to Microsoft, I'll be an MCSA.

My question is will an MCSA cert be good enough to get my foot in the door with a company, or should I hold out for MCSE? I've noticed that all the ad's I've seen lately for admins specify MCSE but not MCSA.

What are yout thoughts?

I think MCSA is a good start, because the requirements are less.

My suggestion for you is to get the MCSA first and then get the MCSE. there is only one exam required for the MCSA that doesn't count for your MCSE certification.

An even better suggestion is don't pursue Microsoft certification at all.

And even if you do, keep in mind that the Windows 2003 line is scheduled to be released on 24 April. It would be foolish to pursue Windows 2000 now.

Chris

It appears that all of the tests for the MCSA are now part of the elective or required path for the MCSE.. but one of them use to be seperate... I just cannot remember which one.

I'd go for your MCSA and then your MCSE... Once you get into the format of the tests and practice with the hardware the tests are not very difficult.

70-210 and 70-215 are almost the same and knowing your stuff for these tests will prepare you for most of the other MCSA/E tests... except for the MCSE software test (on SQL, Exchange, etc...) as this one is not on the OS but on a software package... so you have to learn a few new tricks!

Anyway, there are quite a few people with their MCSE out there, but if a manager is looking for an MCSE and you don't have it, guess what, you probably won't get the job even if your qualified.

A good combination might be:
MCSA
CCNA
CIW
A+
and Network+

The A+ can count as an elective towards the MCSA
The Network+ and A+ also count towards certs from ETA-I(
Its more important to show a broad understanding of technology than to show a mastery of one small tool... usualy :) CJ

Don't drink and post, save that for driving home!

Chris is right,

what I meant is to start with MCSA and then MCSE, but in both cases one should choose the newest operating system availble, to eliminate the need for an upgrade later.

but keep in mind that there is a lot of similarities between operating systems. and there is always an upgrade path to the newest certification....

you can't waint forever....you have to start one day...

take a look at the cisco certification too....

p.s: 70-218 wasn't an elective for MCSE before, but I checked the microsfot site, and it is now...

I would have to disagree with algernonsidney. I think you would be doing well to obtain your cert for the 2000 track. People are hesitant to embrace a new NOS from MS. Take W2K server for example, people didn't migrate from NT4 as immediately as MS had hoped. As a matter of fact, we are migrating only this year.

If you are just starting out in IT, better to get your foot in the door with a cert relative to what is currently being used than with something that is not being used yet. That's my $0.02

As for the 'A' vs. 'E' thing. The 'A' will get your foot in the door and you might be able to get the company to pay for 'E'.

Coming from a large enterprise, I highly suggest getting any cert you can. In todays times, certs dont mean as much as work history, but you need the certs to get in the door. Most people dont learn from books, they only memorize, its not until you are practicing what you read that it really sinks in.

Thanks for the input everyone. That was just about the kick in the pants I neded.

I wouldn't trust Microsoft at all on this one. Anything they do has one goal--making money. That is also the goal of the certification program.

How do you know there will even be an "easy" upgrade from Win2000 to Win2003?

I would pursue Cisco, Novell, or Red Hat anyway. The MCSE may have gotten me a lot of interviews, but it didn't get me the jobs.

Chris

The only rule to follow about certs is:

Is it on the path I want to follow?

In other words, before spending hundreds or thousands of dollars, decide where you are and what direction will take to to where you want to be.

Certs are good for some. They show mastery of a subject. There are those who debate this; but they and I disagree somewhat.

Certs are not for everyone and can "pigeon-hole" an otherwise promising career. Note that Bill Gates, Michael Dell, and Ross Perot are not holders of a CCNA or MCSE...

I like certs; but, to be responsible with your money and your time, each of you should decide where you're going before you hop on the bus... JTB
Solutions Architect
MCSE-NT4, MCP+I, MCP-W2K, CCNA, CCDA,
CTE, MCIWD, i-Net+, Network+
(MCSA, MCSE-W2K, MCIWA, SCSA, SCNA in progress)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back