Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MCP - Think is overheatng and fan(?) like angry wasp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welshbird

IS-IT--Management
Jul 14, 2000
DE
I've had my macbook pro about 4 or 5 years I guess. Suddenly, after it being awake for about 20-30 minutes it sounds like an angry wasp.

I assume this is the fan, and certainly it does feel 'warm' although not unduly so.

Any ideas? I'm using to try and find work right now, so spending out on it is an option I'd like to avoid...

Ta chaps.

Fee

"The cure for anything is salt water – sweat, tears, or the sea." Isak Dinesen

Not sure, but this sounds promising if you can find the download:

Here we go, the download:

The only other things I can think of, given you say it's 4 or 5 years old are:
1. Dust - Unless you somehow have a dustless place, perhaps too much dust got into some grills, and/or somehow to the fan or something.
2. Bearings in CPU fan going out - which would mean you'll need a new CPU fan.. being a laptop will mean it'll cost more, most likely, especially for a Mac, b/c fewer of them around (low supply)
3. Possibly the temps are increasing too much now on the CPU due to the thermal paste between CPU and heatsink wearing out? It's definitely possible after 4 or 5 years.
4. Some program trying to run updates regularly around 20 to 30 minutes after system startup could do it... particularly if it's got a bug in it, causing it to utilize too much CPU power.

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

Hmm, ignore my second link there, please. [blush] I should've taken more time to read that one, b/c it wasn't referencing what I THOUGHT it was referencing. It's actually another app by the same name, but different purpose. It's actually what I'd of expected based on the name, without thinking of being on a MBP. The second link is for something to do with recipies and such.

--

It might be worth noting if this happens all the time or when you're doing certain things on the machine - spiking the CPU and creating too much heat. does the fan run up when the machine is on but not doing anything? Does it heat up watching flash content or visiting websites with lots of flashing flash ads?

You can go to your utilities folder/Activity Monitor and watch your CPU usage - to see if it's spiking.

Using OSX 10.3.9 & 10.4.11 on a G4, G5 & Intel Macbook

I like that
flashing flash ads

That would make for a good ad-blocker advertisement, I bet. [wink]

Are you tired of all the flashing flashy flash ads on pages you visit? Get Obliterate All Ads for only $19.95!

--

Jim: It doesn't seem to be linked to any application, and at the moment I just put it to sleep when it gets really noisy and then wait.

Thanks KJV - I'll look there too!

Fee

So, not helping. I've booked a slot at the genius bar for next week for them to take a look.

Thanks guys.

Fee

Thanks for the follow-up. Let us know what they find.

--

Well, for reasons unclear, its simply stopped making that noise, so have canceled the appointment and will just keep everything crossed that it doesn't start up again.

Fee

Maybe a hunk of dust got in there, and finally worked its way out? [wink]

--

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back