Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MCP certification

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
i just recently passed the 70-210 exam. i phoned prometric to ask when i should receive my mcp package in the mail, and the yahoo told me i need to take more exams to be a mcp. i don't think the yahoo knew what was going on.
so just to confirm... i am an mcp correct??

Yes you are!

Here in Sweden it takes about 4-6 weeks to get the MCP package by mail.

Daniel Svensson

Walt,

Congrats. You are an MCP. MS say 6 to 8 weeks depending on time of year and where you are. Then you get the great kit LOL and your credit card (the useful bit).

Yes you are an MCP. IIRC, my MCP package arrived at my front door one month to the day I passed my first exam.

Giving the Yahoo the benefit of the doubt, maybe he thought you said MCSE package, which would explain why he stated you needed to pass more exams. Jon Hawkins

hi,

YES, it'S right...you are MCP!!!

the "welcome package" arrived (here in germany) about 5-6 weeks after passing the test.

congratulations :)

danny

The congrats letter, the sheet on what you can and cannot do, the printouts of the logos you can use, a credit card with your MCP status on it. As I recall I also got a tie pin.

And of course the certificate signed by Bill.

You dont get printouts of the MCP logos anymore, they are avaliable at Microsofts web site after you have logged on with your MCP ID.

Daniel Svensson

Are the Win2K MCP cards any different. Does anyone know if you get another package/credit card after you pass the accelarated 70-240 exam?

I recieved my MCSE and my MCP Kit, but out of curiousity, other than my MCP card stating that I am an MCP/MCSE what can I do with it?

I'm looking to bolster my resume....will MCP really help me out much? I have been w/ consulting firms and recently Novell....but mostly in HR/Biz analyst/biz development positions. I would like to be somewhat technical and have some tech credentials instead of being a salesman all my life.

Thanks!

I started out as an MCP with no other certifications, and only my Bachelor's Degree, and it was very difficult for me to break into the industry. Almost all those hiring for IT positions care mainly about experience now, not certifications. My MCP, other than adding another line to my resume, did me diddly-squat, because I just didn't have enough work experience.

By the time I got my MCSE, I had about a years' network experience (assisting my employer's Admin), and companies started at least returning my calls. Finally, about 6 months later, I was able to get a good Network Admin job

The moral is, don't get discouraged if your MCP alone doesn't get you interviews. You should shoot for one of the premier certifications, and try to get as much real-world experience as possible.

You should shoot for one of the premier certifications

WHICH ONES? I ASK.

PLEASE ADVISE.

Before spendind hundreds or thousands more on your certs, find out what's important to you. Find out what your boss wants you to do. Find out how you can fulfil your career plan with which certs. Too many will make people think that either you're showing off or have no clear direction.

Trust me on this one... Of course, I was showing off...

Regards,
JTB
Senior Infrastructure Consultant
MCSE-NT4, MCP+I, CCNA, CCDA,
CTE, MCIWD, i-Net+, Network+
(MCSE-W2K, MCIWA, SCSA, SCNA in progress)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back