Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MCITP exam order advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlchris2

Technical User
Mar 18, 2005
US
It's time... I've posted several threads on MS Certs in the past and have additional questions. I would have posted on previous threads, but they are marked closed.

What order would you suggest I follow in my path to obtain both MCITP:EA and MCITP:EMA?

I was considering the following;

70-680, 70-640, 70-642, 70-643, 70-647, 70-662 and lastly 70-663

Also, would it be beneficial to obtain a MCSE first then move onto MCITP or should I just not worry about it? The only reason I ask is, there has to be a wide range of companies still actively running Win2k3 Server...

Mark C.

The order is irrelevant, so long as you do the MCTS exams first and the PRO exam last. The PRO exam is a little more comprehensive, and covers some more enterprise-level topics that you won't have seen in the previous four exams. You might want to start with the 70-680, only because it's probably easiest.

Unless your employer specifically asks you to get the MCSE I wouldn't bother with it. It's true that there are a lot of legacy systems out there running 2003, but most companies have been deploying 2008 or 2008 R2 for awhile now. Server 2008 has been out for 4 years now, and Server 2012 is supposed to be released late this year or early next year. It's just not worth it to train for the past instead of the future.

MCITP:Server Administrator
MCITP:Enterprise Administrator
MCITP:Virtualization Administrator 2008 R2
Certified Quest vWorkspace Administrator

Actually I kinda disagree on this, I believe they should be done in order (usually the numbering order for the certification).

Do the workstation exam first, then 640, 642, 643 and then 647 because you tend to find that each progressive exam covers material from the previous exam culminating in the Pro exam covering everything else.

As far as the 662 and 663 exams, I am guessing that the 662 is the TS and the 663 is the Pro exam so again do it in numerical order.

MCTS:Windows 7
MCITP:Enterprise Desktop Administrator
MCTS:System Center Configuration Manager 2007
MCSE:Security 2003
CompTIA Security+

Actually I kinda disagree on this, I believe they should be done in order (usually the numbering order for the certification).

Do the workstation exam first, then 640, 642, 643 and then 647 because you tend to find that each progressive exam covers material from the previous exam culminating in the Pro exam covering everything else.

The 640, 642, and 643 exams all cover different topics. The only one that is "cumulative" or comprehensive is the 647.

I actually started them in numerical order. After some quick scanning through the books, I found that the Pro Exams (647 and 663) were, just as Simon stated... comprehensive over the TS exams.

Mark C.

I actually started them in numerical order. After some quick scanning through the books, I found that the Pro Exams (647 and 663) were, just as Simon stated... comprehensive over the TS exams.

Which is what I said. The MCTS exams are not cumulative, they stand on their own. The Pro exams are cumulative, and the 647 is the Pro exam for the MCITP:EA cert. As I said, there's no required or recommended sequence to take the exams in, so long as you take the Pro exam last.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back