Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MCDBA - what's required

Status
Not open for further replies.

collierd

MIS
Dec 19, 2001
DE
Hi

I've been using SQL Server 2000 for some years now and just fancied getting some qualifications

This is not only for 'CV' purposes but I also would like to establish what I know/don't know and improve my knowledge of SQL Server

MCDBA seems the most sensible option

In all likelyhood, what is the UK cost of doing this and can this be done on-line
All round basic question but I really would like some advice as to what's involved

Thanks

Damian.

Damian.

If you are working somewhere, you might ask if they have a Tuition Reimbursement plan.
My Work has agreed to pay for all the books that I need for my certifications,I just have to pay for the exams..

Might be nothing, but it's more than you think ;)

I am working on the same cert =) Best of luck to you!

Daren J. Lahey
Programmer Analyst
FAQ183-874 contains Suggestions for Getting Quick and Appropriate Answers to your questions.

Thanks, i've had a look at the microsoft site.
Open ended and depends on the individual I know but, how long did it take to get to a position where you sat the exam.
Been looking around from there and the book for just the one exam is 1024 pages - i've also see suggestions that this book doesn't cover everything
I'm just trying to get an idea for how long to expect this to take

Thanks

Damian.

The Microsoft books cover most of what is on the exams.

Personally I skimmed the books and sat the exams a couple of days later.

As you guessed it will all depend on how much experience you have and how well you know SQL.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000) / MCTS (SQL 2005) / MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

Hi I am UK based and have just recently completed my MCSA my next exam to take is the 70-293 which counts towards an MCSE.

70-291 and 70-293 both count towards MCDBA meaning that after passing 70-293 passing the two SQL exams would give me MCDBA.

I didnt spend much money passing my MCSA paying for my exams using vouchers from getcerfied4less.com so saving money. I also bought alot of my books from ebay which also cut costs.

collierd, from a novice start point with SQL Server it took me about 18 months while keeping a full time job in a different technology. If you have worked for a while with SQL server, much of it will be easy.

I used both the Sybex and Microsoft books.
If a concept was tricky to get my head round in one book, I would use the other. Worked for me anyway.
I also used the selftest software.

I have found the MCDBA a very positive learning experience and I am continuing on the SQL server 2005 track.

Dazed and confused

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back