Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mcaffe VirusScan - Blue Screens... 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonnyjim

IS-IT--Management
Oct 23, 2001
EU
Hi All,

Just a very quick question :

In the past 2 weeks, has anybody running VirusScan or TVD over a network been experiencing Blue Screens in MCSHIELD or MCSCAN?

This has been happening all over the place - our customers , even the PC's here in the office.... But , they all have the latest DATS and I have scoured the Registry for strange entries , have checked the TVD Server also.

Everything appears to be fine - This is happening on versions 4.5.0 and 4.5.1 with the dat file 4194.

This has not happened on any of the machines before - hence my general confusion. The only way to cure it is to remove the application for good. ( obviously not a good cure .

Also , a number of friends in the same business of myself are having the same probs with VirusScan all of a sudden...

odd?

Any Ideas??

"What happens if I press *that* button?"

We did get a lot of BSOD's linked to McAfee Virusscan 4.5.1 but since we update to the 4.0.4215 virusdefinitions it became much worse...

If there is a hotfix for this please let us know the filename so that we can look it up.

What sort of errors have you been getting ?. Users have reported to me that Pcs fail to boot after update. Various files have been 'deleted' since update. Are these some symptoms of a dodgey dat update?

Thanks
John

We get a BSOD at startup (a fatal exception 0E has occured at 0028:C116C475 in VXD MCSCAN32(01) + 00048475. The current application will be terminated). The computer does not get stuck completely. After pressing any key Windows will continue.
Vshield will be diabled after this (blue shield). It is possible to manually activate Vshield again.

We did try to do a forced update of the virusdefs but it did not make any difference...

Thats is the exact same message that we are getting.
Two things for us have changed.
1. Currently teasting ePO agent/mmc console
2. Dat update to 4215

The question should be is this caused by this weeks update?
Ta.
John

I think it is the 4215 update. We are not testing or changing anything at the moment.

We did experience that McAfee puts an increasing load on the system performance in the last months. I tried Norton Antivirus 2002 and found a big performance increase!

But Norton is not the answer. We need our McAfee using computers to run well so if someone please has an answer?

I'm hopig the fix i am expecting from NAI will cure the probs for me, i will let you know when i have tested it.

ta
john

I'm hoping the fix i am expecting from NAI will cure the probs for me, i will let you know when i have tested it.

ta
john

Please do as we are experiencing a fast increasing number of problem computers here.
Thanks a lot!

Johan
Hammmer@dds.nl

Hi y'all.

i'm getting the same errors (a fatal exception 0E has occured at 0028:C116C475 in VXD MCSCAN32(01) + 00048475) but my case is so weird.

the errors above are only occuring in a model of computer (Olivetti M700, Pentium ll processor in a w95 osr 2 based enviroment) i'have a bunch of others computers based on the same software schema but they seems to work fine. i'm just trying to contact mcafee for a hotfix, because this error is driving us crazy, over 300 computers are suffering this.

regards
Javier portillo

I think the fix from NAI has fixed it. I spoke to them yesterday, and they said its fixed with with 4216 DAT (its included) the fix updates mcscan32.vxd, you may need to download the superdat.

ta.
John

I had trouble with the all of the above problems you ppl are facing....i managed to find solutions to most of em.here are a few things to do that cud fix your problems...

1). Run the latest superdat file from the site in SAFE MODE...then restart...

2). Disable the auto upgrade feature in the McAfee VirusScan Console.(taskbar).

3). The Auto Update Feature in the McAfee VirusScan Console set to "At Startup".

4). Set Scanning to Program Files only for Download Scan in the Vshield(taskbar).

5). Turn off any power settings on the computers in control panel.

6). AND McAfee has issues with IE6 with Win2k. Uninstalling IE6 is the only way I found so far.

hope these fixes work for most of you guys.
Cheers.
Martin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back