Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

McAfee VS 6.02.3000.1 on XP & Defrag Function

Status
Not open for further replies.

T2LE

Technical User
Jan 27, 2002
US
I have Windows XP home edition and cannot defrag my system successfully. After defraging I get the following message in the report stating the following files could not be defragmented:

11 2.00 GB \Program Files\McAfee\McAfee
Shared Components\Safe &
Sound\Backup_1.Vol

2 419 MB \UNDO\BACKUP.CAB

I use the instant updater and believe I have all the current patches, upgrades, updates, etc.

Should I uninstall McAfee & reinstall? I have a 20g HD and only have 16% space remaining. I have tried to defrag in Safe Mode and in regular mode with VS disabled (as well as Guardian). Any suggestions?

Thanks - T2LE

The best approach is to disable the VirusScan service before doing the defrag. Might also help to check out the FAQs on this forum for other help options.

AVChap

Thanks AVChap, but I have already tried it - didn't work. Also, I read posts back to the beginning of the year looking for this problem - didn't find anything that matched.

That's why I thought I should uninstall it, run defrag, and then reinstall and see if it works that way. I heard it's best to uninstall McAfee prior to installing Windows XP, but I didn't do that. I also upgraded my McAfee to be compatible with XP.

Now I'm unsure what to do. I think I need to have a clean defrag - don't I???

Probably. All that installing and uninstalling will fragment your free space :).

Anything below 5% fragmented is okay. Better run it without McAfee then install afterwards. Probably need another year before you defrag again. By then a new version would have probably come out!! :)

AVChap

Wait another year after defragging? Really? I thought a pc should be defragged at least 1 or 2 times a month. I have a ton of stuff on my pc that is used extensively. Lots of pictures, music, and apps.

What do you mean "Anything below 5% fragmented is okay." Do you have XP?

XP does not give you the amount of fragmentation. It only tells you what percentage of disk space is available - i.e. 17%.

Are you associated with McAfee, like a tech advisor?

No, I am not associated with McAfee. I do use their products and try to help others who do.

BTW, your problem has something to do with Safe&Sound. Check with the online help from McAfee here:

You can also try to "chat" with their engineer.

AVChap

Well, as usual, whenever I dig into one thing I find more problems! I did chat with a McAfee techie and I did uninstall McAfee, however, after reinstalling it, I found that ALL my email messages had disappeared. I have Outlook Express 6. I did not delete them and have checked and re-checked all settings. Any ideas?

Also, I was able to defrag, but not completely. Thanks for your suggestions.

Hi,

Your defrag problem is directly related to Safe & Sound--I don't believe that the McAfee tech that you spoke with didn't relate this.

You were correct that Uninstalling was the answer to this issue but to completely uninstall Safe & Sound you MUST do a manual uninstall. Due to the way the McAfee site is now set up I can't direct you to the instructions directly but if you will go to and do a search for Uninstall Safe & Sound or Uninstall McAfee AV v.6.x you will find the instructions for a manual uninstall which includes the needed registry edits.

When you reinstall the AV software you need to do a "Custom" install so that you can choose to NOT install Safe & Sound and I would also choose to NOT scan the boot files on startup since this is time consuming and totally unnecessary since a normal scan will do it.

The issue with OE is a know issue and was fixed with the latest update that took it to V. 6.02. This update is available in the downloads section of the Mcafee site--a free upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back